starter wiring harness

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
starter wiring harness

I have a 1957 35 horse big twin w/electric start evinrude(serial# 25930-08866. Does anyone know where I can find the harness that is under the hood for the starter? Thanks.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: starter wiring harness

You mean the Harness for the whole motor? Is yours bad or missing?

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it is for the starter and electric choke. I have the harness but the positive cable for the starter has no insulation left from baking in the sun. The harness leads to the ignition box but has a disconnect at the base of the engine casing.<br />I need the inside the hood part with the male connector.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK...I think I know what part you are looking for. The connector at base is a rectangle with 7 pins. Those are a bit hard to come by. If it is just the insulations that is bad you can take it off the motor and clean it up. Then just put a couple layers of Shrink Tubing over the wires. That should keep you going til you can find a new one, or one in good shape. Took me 5 months to find one in good shape and I'm looking for another as a spare.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that sounds like it but mine only has 5 pins. (no generator maybe?)I only use three wires, the other two aren't hooked to anything.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh ok, well anyway you can try the shrink tubing to get by for awhile.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks, that should get it working until I can find one

John Bussom

Cadet

it is for the starter and electric choke. I have the harness but the positive cable for the starter has no insulation left from baking in the sun. The harness leads to the ignition box but has a disconnect at the base of the engine casing.<br />I need the inside the hood part with the male connector.

I just picked up a '57 35hp big twin, the outer cable is shot from sunbake, several broken wires etc, etc, only wire that was half good was the hot wire to the starter!

Plans are to remove it and wire direct bringing my wire out the side where that plug is, I have a 30hp BT the wires come out through that big hole in the base but they always seem to be in my way! There are 4 small wires and pins + the hot wire to the starter! This is the plug that bolts inside the motor case real close to the starter correct!

I am not going to use it, you are welcome to it just pay the shipping!
let me know!

Me thinks the 35 gets wired same way as my 30 hp, will find out tomorrow, I see no difference!