Silly Electrical Problem

weedjj

Recruit
I have a 63 40 HP JOhnson and am trying to wire it up. It has a solenoid and 4 wires coming out of the solenoid. 1 goes to battery, 1 goes to one smaller terminal on solenoid and lights up when switch is on. I have no idea on the other two, and I can not get power to the other big stud on the solenoid to power the motor and the starter. I know this is probably silly question, but can anyone help me out here please? I really appreciate all answers.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Silly Electrical Problem

Ok Josh, here ya go.<br />A cable from the battery goes to one of the big posts.<br />A cable from the starter goes to the other big post.<br />A wire from the starter switch goes to one of the little posts.<br />A ground wire goes to the other little post.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Xcusme

Commander

Since you're getting switched voltage to one of the smaller terminals and the solenoid is not switching, here's things to check/fix:<br /><br />Dead/Low battery----replace or charge battery<br />Other small terminal not grounded ----- connect to good ground<br />Bad coil in solenoid (replace solenoid)<br />Burned out contact plate inside of solenoid (replace solenoid)<br />Heavy wire to starter corroded ---- clean connections<br />Starter has bad ground-----verify starter is tightly bolted to power head

tltjilek

Cadet

the ground coulc be going through your neutral safety switch which is mounted next to the throttle arm.