Need Help with 9.9

ballarin

Recruit
I just finished repairing the water pump and carborator. I used a service manual and followed it pretty accurately. My engine now starts on the first few pulls but dies after a couple of minutes. Here are my many questions.<br />1. How do I know the water pump is working? I notice water leaking from the thermostat. Is that also a problem. Do I need a gasket to prevent the leakage.<br />2. It only runs for the few minutes if the choke is pulled out. As soon as I put the choke in, the engine coughs and dies.<br />3. Anything I should check to ensure the carb, water pump and thermostat are functioning properly. I changed all 3.<br />Feel free to add any input.

D

DJ

Re: Need Help with 9.9

max,<br /><br />Doess this engine have adjustable high and low speed jets? If so, start by gently turning them all the way in and then turn out 1 1/2 turns.<br /><br />The thermostat leak needs to be repaired.<br /><br />That engine should havdee a telltale. There will be a stream of water exiting the lower cowl (right side-standing behind).

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Need Help with 9.9

Max,<br />Since you didn't give us any hints as to the model year of you're motor, assumptions are as follows.<br /><br />Thermostat---Yes, usually the thermostat will have a rubber gasket around it's sealing surface and another gasket on the thermostat housing to power head. If it's leaking at the housing, you need a gasket.<br /><br />Water Pump---If you motor has a tell-tale (overboard indicator) or "pee hole", water should spray from that opening when the motor is running in water. Don't ever run the motor out of water..period. The thermostat will regulate the water flow through the power head based on engine temperature. Less water from the 'pee hole' can sometimes be seen when the thermostat is open, more when the thermostat is closed. When I replace a water pump, I flush water up the copper water tube with a garden hose and short piece of rubber tubing to be sure there's no obstructions in the power head. This way I know it's not a blockage in the cooling passages if water doesn't flow from the motor.<br /><br />Carburetor --- If you cleaned the carb in solvent, paying attention to the low speed idle circuit, replaced the needle valve and seat, checked the float level etc, the carb should not be a problem. Make initial carb needle settings per the manual.<br /><br />Did you try pumping the primer bulb from the fuel tank to see it the motor continues to run?? If the motor does continue to run while squeezing the bulb, then start looking for a fuel delivery problem in the fuel pump, or fuel lines for air leaks. Be sure the fuel tank is vented too.