'64 Evinrude-no spark top cylinder

Dezangler

Recruit
I hope someone can help. Got a 1964 big twin 40 horse evinrude. Starts and idles fine. Problem is that is only running on one cylinder. The top cylinder is not firing. No spark. Motor has new coils, points, condensors. Any way of testing these parts? continuity tests? Getting frustrating trying to figure out the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: '64 Evinrude-no spark top cylinder

The simplest way of testing them is to swap them with your good side. Then set the flywheel back on, and spin it with your hand while checking for spark. (with the plugs out, of course!)<br /><br />If you want to test the coils for continuity, they should be about 5Kohms to ground from the spark plug lead (a fairly wide variance here is acceptable). From the points lead to ground (with the points open) you should read about 1 ohm to ground. That should drop to 0 when the point closes.<br /><br />Testing the condensor requires a capacitance tester, and they're not on most meters. Just swap them and see if you get your spark.<br /><br />Finally, if one of those leads (lower voltage) that drop from the armature plate is getting grounded, then it will kill the spark on the coil that it's hooked up to. One way this could happen is if the high rpms cut-out saftey switch was shorted or otherwise jammed. It's the thing attached to the transfer port with a tube coming out of it and going to the intake manifold, just behind the carb.<br /><br />Hope some of this helps!

58BigTwin

Cadet

Duane,<br /><br />I also have an older 35 hp big twin, great motors. When I was getting it out of retirement this spring I had a similar problem. When I replaced the ignition components I left the wire on one of the condensers too high, and it rubbed on the flywheel, breaking continuity and losing that cylinder.<br /><br />I didn't find the problem until I pulled the flywheel again.<br /><br />Something to check.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />TE

Dezangler

Recruit

Thanks for the tips guys.I checked the over rev plunger. Everything ok there.I finally said the heck with it and got a new coil, points, and condenser. When I was insalling the new coil I noticed that the black wire running under the coil to the points was crimped pretty bad. I wrapped it with electrical tape,installed the new coil,points(set at 20 thousandths), and condenser. Put it all back together and fired it up. Now I finally have both cylinders firing.I never really found the main problem but I'm just glad it's running. Thanks again for your help.