windshield wiper on plexiglass?

Twidget

Commander
I wouldnt do it. I scratched the plexi windshield on a center console I used to have by wiping spay off. A windshield wiper would beat it to death in a short time Im afraid.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: windshield wiper on plexiglass?

I vote no. A wiper would render your 'shield' useless in short order.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
windshield wiper on plexiglass?

My boat can be a wet ride at times.. Last weekend comes to mind..<br /><br />I have a rather high plexiglass (maybe lexan?, not sure) windshield on the console that really does a fine job of blocking the spray.. Problem is, when it's wet I cannot see ahead...<br /><br />I'm wondering if it would be harmfull to the plexiglass or lexan (whichever it may be?) to run an electric wiper on it? The windshield does scrach fairly easy.. :confused: <br /><br />Your thoughts? :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Looks like a wiper's not gonna fly... :( <br /><br />I thought about Rainx, but i am worried about that damaging the plexi too.. May try it though.. <br /><br />Let ya'll know the results of Rainx..<br /><br />Thanks for confirming my though of a wiper doing damage... :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Rainex is great when its first applied but in my experience it can damage plexiglass after a period of time - I think there is even a warning on the bottle, not sure. There is another one on the market that is better but the name escapes me.<br /><br />Aldo

Trent

Captain

Dont use rainex on plastic. It will cause it to craze.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Took a look at the destructions on a bottle of Armorall Clearsight (same kinda deal as Rainx)...<br /><br /> "Do not use on plastic or painted surfaces"<br /><br />Wax... hummm... Never thought about wax... :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think a RainX type product would be great, but watch out for on-the-label warnings.<br /><br />Long before RainX was introduced, I used to wax my plexi with plain old Simonize wax. It didn't work as well as RainX, but it did bead the spray and let the wind blow it off.<br /><br />Good luck. :) <br /><br />Oh, by the way, I agree with all above about a wiper.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Snapperbait,<br /><br />I keep my windshield waxed with Turtle Wax brand auto wax. Does a good job of beading the water and it is better than not waxing, but not as good as rainx does on glass.<br /><br />Mark

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try waxing it with automobile wax. I do this on my motorcycle windshield and it helps the water roll off.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I also vote for auto wax. I use Meguires Gold Class, and it works very well on various clear plastics. I have never had to do my center console windshield though, becuse it never gets wet. I am a wus and stay in when raining, and never have any spray issues from the ride. An alternative would be to build a frame and install automotive style glass, then install a wiper. That may be more than you want to go through though. Maybe you could buy one of those realy expensive spinning insets that ships use, so you don't need wipers at all and can still see. Maybe I am on crack....

flashback

Captain

Hi Snapper, hey, would it be possible to replace that panel of plexi with a piece of tempered glass? if so, then the wiper would be the ticket.....lol

nevrdid

Recruit

For me it’s no contest, I need wipers.<br />When we must go to the mainland for whatever reason, I need to see the way. From our island cottage there’s markers and bottom growlers to navigate not to mention kids in kayaks caught in the storm, or endangered Trumpeter Swans in the traffic channel. Oh yeah, and Deer changing places!<br />My 1963 Star craft still has its’ original wiper and shield and only gets switched on at intervals when needed. Once a season it gets a polish of Meguires as others have mentioned, and is good as new again.<br />I wish I could rub some parts of me with Meguires and again look as new.<br />The point is, in a sudden downpour into the sun, --- I gotta see. No contest.<br />My boat may not look as good as some of the showboats at the Government wharf, but it gets us there and no blood on it. <br /><br />Nevrdun.

JohnnyRuuDe

Seaman Apprentice

For me it’s no contest, I need wipers.<br />When we must go to the mainland for whatever reason, I need to see the way. From our island cottage there’s markers and bottom growlers to navigate not to mention kids in kayaks caught in the storm, or endangered Trumpeter Swans in the traffic channel. Oh yeah, and Deer changing places!<br />My 1963 Star craft still has its’ original wiper and shield and only gets switched on at intervals when needed. Once a season it gets a polish of Meguires as others have mentioned, and is good as new again.<br />I wish I could rub some parts of me with Meguires and again look as new.<br />The point is, in a sudden downpour into the sun, --- I gotta see. No contest.<br />My boat may not look as good as some of the showboats at the Government wharf, but it gets us there and no blood on it.

Hey nevrdid...Are you saying that your starcraft came with wiper on it? I'm curious cause I wanna put a wiper on my 68 starcraft for emergencies.

ziggy

Admiral

i don't think i'd do a wiper on my plexiglass either...
as for a product to use. i just keep it clean with windex...

IMG_3333-1.jpg
this was boating in the rain. the original starboard plexiglass panel...

IMG_3336.jpg

this is a new plexiglass center panel this year....

i just don't think i'm gonna do much better with any product than the way it is now..