Tampa Bay-Flats or Bay Boat?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking for a boat to fish the skinny water in and around Tampa Bay. I've seen flats boats in the bay and bay boats on the flats. I guess it depends on the individual boats draft and bow design. There are more CC bay boats out there in the 17'/18' range. I saw a bay boat with a poling platform, electric engine, etc. on the flats that eemed to do the job fine. Anyone have any advice on which way to go? I'd like to fish parts of the deeper bay as well as the skinny water areas.<br />Stalker

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tampa Bay-Flats or Bay Boat?

Well, I dream about the Flatscats made in San Antonio, Tx. I think they make 3 different lengths and will really really do the job. I mean really skinny water. Check out their website. <br /><br /> http://www.coastalfishing.org/forum_one_msg/5866.htm <br /><br /><br />Check out this testimonial and then the website. Awesome skinny boats.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

It depends on how important it is to you to go zipping accross the flats. A flats boat can go like hell in much shallower water than a CC. The downside is a flats boat will beat you upside and down in any kind of wind or waves. I have a CC and when I want to run in shallow water I slow down and trim up. In deeper water I can run 30 mph comfortably when I could not tolerate the pounding from a flats boat. Still it is what is important to you that counts.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. Does a CC have a much deeper draft than a CC with the bay boat designation? Could I use a CC with an electric engine to fish and move over the flats? How big a difference is there between the draft of a CC and that of a flats or bay boat? I guess I'm trying to deside between a flats, bay or CC rig. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.<br />Stalker

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Depending on the brand, I'd most likely go with the bay boat.. I see quite a few bay boats with trolling motors on them.. No problem there..<br /><br />Draft... Depends on the hull... Example: Many of the older and smaller Mako CC's like the 17' and 19' will float in supprisingly shallow water because the bottoms of them are relativly flat at the transom..

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I'll go with a bay boat. I think it will serve the purpose of flat and bay fishing as well as near shore. Thanks again.<br />Stalker

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Stalker,<br /><br />I purchased a 2010 Polar Bay Boat in the spring and am happy with my decision. I have a Minn Kota Riptide on it and fish skinny water with no problem.<br /><br />Not sure which manufacturers you are considering but you can see what polar has to offer<br />www.polarboats.com<br /><br />Kevin

Snookster

Seaman

I fished Tpa bay for many years w/ a 18' Mako CC - I'm glad I stuck w/ it.<br /><br />Flats boats have an appeal but you're stuck inside - you can't even run out a mile or two for bait or when the mackerl are running off Ft DeSoto. I have fished off the Polar suggested earlier, its a very sturdy boat & lots of deck space for throwing cast nets etc - also a good choice for Tpa Bay, just make sure you don't underpower it.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"Flats boats have an appeal but you're stuck inside"<br /><br />Not necessarily...<br /><br />Ran my home made 15footer many times out Jupiter and Lake worth inlets... Not always comfortable, but I'm able to drop anchor and fish in up to 3 foot seas...

BillP

Captain

I'd do the bay boat unless you want to pole shallows all the time. An 18'cc will go 95% of the places a flats boat will. You can still pole a bay boat if the winds aren't bad. A bay boat will let you fish the gulf better.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the help. I'll start looking at bay boats this week. Thanks again.<br />Stalker

GatorMike

Ensign

I grew up on Tampa Bay but now live on the Space Coast. There is definitely a difference in boats you see in the two areas. If you were fishing the East Coast of FL (Mosquito Lagoon, Indian and Banana Rivers) a flats boat would definitely be in order, the flats are bigger and shallower and if you want to go offshore neither is too great for the rough seas of the Atlantic. Tampa Bay is a whole different ball game. In Tampa Bay you have deep water that runs right up to the flats in most locations. Also Tampa Bay can get awful choppy for a flats boat. The other advantage to a center console in Tampa Bay is you have a lot of days when one can double as an offshore boat. I personally would go with a CC or a bay boat. Another thing I have noticed a lot of in Tampa Bay that you never see on the East coast is a tuna tower on a CC boat. I guess those guys run up to the edge of the flats and search for snook and reds from the tuna tower.