stainless prop cleanup?

fastkenny

Seaman
I have twin outboards with stainless props. I've pulled them for the winter and plan to clean them up before spring. They are a little rusty, have a few gouges on the edges, overall pretty dull and dirty looking.<br />(dumb) question: Can I clean them up with some oil and progressively finer sandpaper, finishing by polishing with 600 grit paper? Or will that make them more prone to rust,<br /><br />thanks

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: stainless prop cleanup?

I would use steel wool or a 3m scrub pad before I use sand paper.You can also try some polishing compound first ot chrome polish.Charlie

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have recently read an article on stainless steel and its care (in Trailer Boats magazine). According to this article stainless steel has a passive layer of chromium oxide that isolates the core material (nickel, carbon, iron, and chromium alloy) from the elements. Any cleansing beyond very mild acids like vinegar errodes this layer which can result in corrosion. In another words, according to this article, any metal polishes, scrub pads, steel wool, anything can make matters worse. Baking soda with water on a sponge, vinegar, and even oxolic acid are the examples given to clean stainless. The article went on to say that unless a product specifically states it is safe for stainless, you shouldn't use it as long term damage can result.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

fastkenny wrote:
...have a few gouges on the edges, overall pretty dull and dirty looking.
Because of the out-of-balance issue, I'd be inclined to have them 'tuned' professonally. They can clean them up as well as they can, sharpen your edges, and make sure the blades are balanced for optimal performance.<br />Just my .02

fastkenny

Seaman

thanks for the info! maybe the reason they started to rust was that the 'passive layer' is gone in certain areas

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Make certain that you wax the prop when you are finished cleaning it up.This stopped the slight rust from coming back on my prop.Charlie

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try "prop wash"<br /><br /><br />Sorry couldn't resist

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi. A few general thoughts ...<br /><br />The corrosion resistance properties of stainless steel are there because - as JasonJ has said - an extremely thin oxide layer forms on its surface. <br /><br />Two things - first, this passive film is self-generating. In other words, the cleaner the surface, the quicker and more uniform will be the generation of a fresh layer. Second, this oxide layer will fail to form on dirty or contaminated metal. Where such a layer doesn't form, stainless steel will stain! Sometimes these stains go deep and cannot readily be removed.<br /><br />When working with stainless steel, contamination can occur as a result of welding, grinding, forming, contact with other metals and even general workshop storage and handling. Sometimes, with welded props, you can see the joins because they become darker. This is contamination from poor original welds.<br /><br />A really thorough clean and polish, bearing in mind the above, will not harm the prop - but more agressive work than that might unbalance it.<br /><br />Ciao

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

NEVER use steel wool on stainless. It will leave pieces of itself behind in the pits of the SS and you will have a rust problem until the end of time. SS fabricators always have a dedicated wire wheel for polishing SS, never to be used on anything else. And the wheel's made of SS or bronze. So go ahead and use bronze wool or Scotchbrite pads, but not steel wool.<br /><br />BTW, any jelly with oxalic or phosphoric acid works really well. Try Naval Jelly or Davis FSR, the rust will simply wipe off.

fastkenny

Seaman

stillfishing and stratocaster:<br />Thanks for the info!<br />I tested one side of one blade. It was pretty cruddy and rough feeling in addition to the rust. I sprayed a little wd40 on it and polished it up with 600 wet sand paper and it looks great. I'll look for some bronze wool and try that too. Would something like Never Dull polish be worth the effort? Or would running the props quickly wear off any type of protective coating?<br />thanks

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fastkenny,<br /><br />When you've finished polishing, don't give the prop any other coating.<br /><br />The great property of stainless steel is that the oxide layer forms automatically - self-generating. It needs exposure to air for this to happen. Unless it gets this exposure, it can stain.<br /><br />Make sure your anodes are in good shape. Abrade them with a file or similar if they're white-looking or 'furry'. Renew them if they're more than half-worn. This'll help keep the props - and other metal components - in good shape.<br /><br />Ciao

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cleaning Compound, Propeller, General Purpose, aka Propwash. Didn't think the military still used that might be hard to find! Iv'e always used a buffing wheel and jewler's rouge followed by a good coat of wax.<br /><br />Russ In Texas<br /><br />Couldn't resist either!

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

interesting about the oxide layer being self generating I didnt know that. have a good one

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Sorry about the steel wool suggestion guys.I assumed we all knew better .I ONLY use stainless steel pads and scotchbrite pads.Never use steel wool anywhere on a boat.It WILL leave rust dots the next day everywhere you use it and everywhere it rinses off to.Charlie