"Marine" speakers

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
I know this was a topic already, but this is a personal experience post more than a question.<br /><br />My boat has 4 speakers, 2 in the cabin and 2 at the helm. <br /><br />The 2 at the helm are shot.<br /><br />My friend had a brand new pair of "pyramid" marine speakers lying around that he never installed, still in the box. <br /><br />I know, pyramid is the bottom of the line, but these are good looking speakers, all poly, large magnet structure. My original speakers were 5.25" and these are 6.5", so I enlarged the holes and installed them. They sound awesome. <br /><br />Here's the kicker. The screws that came with these 'marine' speakers are compeltely brown, with rust stains starting to streak off them, in ONE DAY. Yes one day. I installed them in the morning, went fishing, and the next day when cleaning the boat I noticed it. <br /><br />Pissed me off. I already replaced the screws with stainless ones I have around. I tossed the original ones thinking these new ones must be stainless since these are 'marine' speakers. HA!

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: "Marine" speakers

Speakers are "marine" grade but not the screws.... is that something. :)

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like you got screwed.... :rolleyes: <br /><br />Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There's no law preventing anyone from labelling anything as "Marine" grade. Some are, some are sort-of, and some aren't. Salt-water marine environments are amazingly hostile to a large number of materials. Making a component truly marine-quality sometimes involbes more costs and engineering than the manufacturer feels like paying, so they just stick the label on. <br /><br />Welcome to the free-market uncontrolled world of boating. You want the government off your back you got it here! Take every claim with skepticism until you have checked it out!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

All I can say is at least they were free to me. Had the stainless screws in the garage too to fix it. <br /><br />Luna, very funny. :D

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Steve<br />You say they have a large magnet. You may want to check your compass and adjust if neccessary before you need it out in the fog.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Boatist. They're a good 6 feet from the compass at least. And the magnet is large compared to a normal size 6.5" speaker magnet, but not huge. Maybe 3" across.

rwidman

Lieutenant

A pretty good (but not perfect) way to determine if hardware is stainless steel is to see if it is atracted to a magnet. Stainless steel is not, normal steel hardware is.