air bubbles for ice prevention

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I had a problem with the thick ice lifting my piling up a few feet last winter.I ran out and bought an ice eater for $400 to save the pole.I dont want to leave the ice eater there all winter for the fear of it being stolen.I plan to put a fish tank pump on the pole and run 2 tubes under the water and let it blow bubbles on the questionable weeks and save the ice eater for the few weeks that it MAY really get cold for an extended period.Anyone ever use bubbles to keep the ice away from the pole?I was also looking for some sort of black plastic to wrap around the pole at the water line to attract the heat of the sun and maybe make the ice harder to grab it.Just curious if anyone has tried this before with success.Charlie

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: air bubbles for ice prevention

The ice eater works because it pulls up large amounts of warmer water from below and spreads it across the surface. I'm at least curious to find out what happens with the bubbles. I think it depends on how powerful it is.<br /><br />I've heard of dock owners using this technique in the Chesapeake Bay area but I don't know how powerful these units are.<br /><br />Here are some ideas from other people:<br /> http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Boat_20Docks_20Ice_20Damage

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Should work...moving water will not frezze...but will the fish pumps hold up?

18rabbit

Captain

Don’t know how it is for you Charlie but my woman constantly reminds me I blow a lot of hot air. If it’s anything like that for you, a short piece of hose is all you’re gonna need. :D

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I hear ya Rabbit!!!!! The only problem with that is that the air my wife reffers to comes out of a different hole :eek: :eek: :) Charlie

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I know someone who made a bubbler w/ a small shop vac & holes drilled in a pipe to protect his pier. He puts the whole thing in a box out of the weather out near the pier. He said they usually last 2 or 3 years. <br />I never saw it in action so I don't know how he controlled it. Probably manually since he lives there.

JustMrWill

Shoot...make that box and buy a solar panel to run the pump...mount that baby on top of the box and you are good to go...

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen people use bubblers in some fresh water areas of PA and NJ. You need a lot of bubbles. I don't know if a fish tank pump will be able to provide a large enough volume of air.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Ed:<br /> I know someone who made a bubbler w/ a small shop vac
Don't know about you, but I don't think listening to a shop vac on someines pier would make for good neighbors..

Rideout

Cadet

I bought the bubbler last year AFTER the ice had raised a mooring pole about 5 feet. Don't know the threat of theft in your area, but I would buy the bubbler and leave in in during cold months. It costs more to have the piling driven back than a new bubbler

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Sit the shop vac in an insulated box with a hole for air to come in...and voila no noise. You could even put it on a Noma timer to go off at intervals instead of running it coninuously.

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You all may think this is stupid but I keep thinking of the livestock tank heaters I use for our horses. Mount it to the pole and plug it in when it gets cold. Could even set it up with a thermostat to turn on only when it gets below say 20 Deg. Too much electrical use though.<br /><br />Or why not just get a small submersable pump and set it up to pick up the water off the bottom and discharge it under the pier at the surface. Heck a fractional HP pump should do the trick, right?

ED21

Robby,<br />I have to agree w/ you about the noise. The thing is in some kind of box though. Next time I see him I'll ask about it.<br />It wasn't an endorsement, just an observation.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I will surely let you guys know how the fishtank air pump works.I will keep the ice eater on standby incase I need it.I dont see a shop vac doing the job for very long.I know how hot mine gets after being on for only 5-10 minutes and there cant be a way to muffle the noise in the middle of a quiet and pieceful evening.Charlie

wallbanger2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How about wraping the pole with some sort of packing foam about 3-4 inches thick so that the ice cant get a hard grip on the pole because the foam will compress? Not sure if it would work or not. Anyone have an opinion on this?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

How about a nice $30 Rule bilge pump strapped to a cinderblock and sunk to the bottom, and run the outlet tube to circulate the water near the piling? An old yard sale or flea market battery charger would keep it running and that would be a minimal investment.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by wallbanger2:<br /> How about wraping the pole with some sort of packing foam about 3-4 inches thick so that the ice cant get a hard grip on the pole because the foam will compress? Not sure if it would work or not. Anyone have an opinion on this?
Ya know, this might be an idea to try! Home Depot sells those semi-rigid foam sheets for building insulation...the 1/2 inch is pretty bendable. And by the way, I use a sheet for laying on while under the boat/van, etc. Try it!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I like Steve's suggestion to use water rather than air. I don't know if a bilge pump is built for continuous operation though or would pump enough volume (same thing with a fish tank pump). How about a sprinkler or pool pump - - what you really need is an AC voltage low pressure high volume pump.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I was considering wrapping the pole too.I was looking for some sort of black plastic which I could get around the pole so the ice could not grip at as well and the black would surely absorb some sunlight and help stop the hard freeze.The bilge pump idea would just be too much going on with a battery and a charger sitting on the dock.Charlie

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Your two posts on the same subject have been combined.