1990- 50 hp Johnson Tilt/Trim seal leaking

dkoselke

Recruit
I recently boat a boat with a 1990 (maybe 1989?) Johnson 50hp electric start VRO model. It had been sitting for about 2 years--low hours on everything (no corrosion and the paint on the motor is almost pristine). <br />We trailered it 90 miles with the motor up and in the "locked" position. Now the power trim/tilt unit upper seal is leaking fluid (About a teaspoon a minute?). You can see the fluid oozing out the top of the cylinder. <br />I want to repair this myself. <br /><br />1) Will it need any other seals besides the one on the top end that's obviously leaking?(maybe internal seals also?)<br /><br />2) I tried to remove the top pin (about 1/2 dia. with a flat head on one end--hole and retaining pin in the other end) holding the top of the hydraulic cylinder ram--couldn't budge it and can't get behind it to drive it out (yes, the retaining pin is out) How do I get this out?<br /><br />3) Same problem with the lower shaft/pin with a threaded lock nut on each end (this is the rod about 1/2" x 10" inches. It's designed to be moved to 3 different holes to change trim). I took the nuts off both ends of the lower/larger rod and tried driving it out--from both direction. WILL not budge. That's after soaking it in WD40 and giving it dozens of good raps with a small sledge hammer and driving pin. HOW do I get these shafts/or pins out so I can remove the TRIM/TILT unit and replace that leaking top seal. Is it possible to repair this trim/tilt unit by just taking out the top pin (top of push-rod) and letting the unit swing out, down and back?<br /><br />The trim/tilt unit itself is basically a one-piece unit with electric motor vertical and on the port/left side--hydraulic cylinder is parallel and right next to it. The body (not including the rod that goes in and out) of hydraulic cylinder is about 8-1/2' tall and 2-1/2 dia. Couldn't find numbers. <br /><br />Any help from mechanics who have repaired this unit would be greatly appreciated.

dkoselke

Recruit
Re: 1990- 50 hp Johnson Tilt/Trim seal leaking

I went out and worked on removing that trim/tilt unit again. I finally got the bottom shaft out (the one that sits horizontally and runs through the bottom of the trim/tilt unit). Took some more heat from the 'blue wrench' and some mighty hammer blows but that part of the job is done.<br /><br /> Now I need help with the other questions. I'll be working on the top shaft in the meantime.

how did you get the top rod on your trim/tilt on your boat I cant figure out how to do it thanks Richard

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you look on the stbd side of the top pin you'll see a threaded hole. OMC made an adapter that would thread into that hole and you could attach a slide hammer to it and pull it out. That was fine if the mtr never had seen salt water. What I've had to do is drill a big enough hole in the port bracket that would line up with the pin and drive it out with a BFH, a brass drift and plenty of heat. Use a brass drift so you don't mushroom out the pin

Thanks for idea I will try today I though that was the way but I had a friend saying there was a bolt that was broken inside and I needed to drill it out and the unit would fall Thanks so much Richard