85 120hp E'rude VRO wire/tan one goes???

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good Day,<br /><br />I bought a replacement VRO pump a while back, with the oil pickup blocked off. Mixing my oil now, 50:1. Neither pump has/had any wires/alarms hooked up to it. Question is, the 2 wires that came from the VRO tank itself, one was grounded to the block and the other was hooked up to a tan or brown wire in the harness. Should this harness wire be grounded to the block now? First I didn't, then I did, then mechanic said no so I cut it...... Need the right answer cause have NEW stator and timing base coming friday and I really really want the boat to start this time! Replaced Power Pack already, did the tests in manual, well, the ones I could. Checking everything else in the meantime.......<br /><br />Also, someone had a screw driven into the control box where the safety lanyard goes, messed it up some so when troubleshooting I cut the 2 wires going to that, and covered the ends of them with electrical tape. Old mechanic told me he disconnected the big red plug/harness inside the cowling and engine still wouldn't start either. When that red plug is undone, should the engine start with a remote starter? Does that bypass all the forward components?

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 85 120hp E'rude VRO wire/tan one goes???

Hmm, too wordy? :eek: <br /><br />BUMP

93bronco

Ensign

dont cut it!!!! ground wire should be ok connected. the tan wire just needs to be taped up so it cant ground out setting off the alarm.<br />but i stand to be corrected..........

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

2K<br /><br />Cut both wires when removing VRO tank. 1 went to block, other to brown from harness. Taped em both up, then spliced em together, now they're apart again. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Thanks for replyin

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Soooooo, the brown wire should or should not be grounded to zee block?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I tink if iz grounded, will alarm. Don' ground.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Jamar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

maybe a day late and a dollar short as usual by here is my 2 cents. Wheni disconnect mine i went to the block and disconnected the ground. the smaller brown wire went to a pickup(it was a small diamter female plug type connector sheated in rubber. I just pulled the connection apart and left the wiring harness end hanging there, enclosed in the rubber sheath. The pickup is just below the upper LH spark plug, on my 84 model evinrude 90hp anyway.