1993 Evinrude Carb/ignition sync/timing

zspinner

Recruit
I have a 1993 Evinrude 30 Hp electric start, last week I was idiling the motor and it dies. I opened the hood to find that the throttle lever arm and linkage had broke. Ordered new lever arm, installed it and found another problem when I went to connect the lever to the throttle linkage. The support plate under the armature had lost two screws and was out of wack. I thought no problem remove flywheel and install two new screws and I am back in business. Wrong, when I removed the flywheel my problems got worse. I found that the two screws that let go got caught up in the UFI components and broke the ignition coil off the armature plate, gauged the trigger, and broke the wires on the charging coil. I went and ordered the new parts today, trigger, armature plate, coils, and screws, $185 later, now this weekend when them come in I am going to replace all these components, should not be too bad since I have already removed the bad stuff. My question is how do I sync or time the ignition with the fuel system on this motor? I have a generic service manual that covers this motor, but this manual makes it sound very complicated, also calls to run the motor at full throttle in forward gear using a "test wheel" instead of a prop. Any help would be great.<br /><br />Bart

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1993 Evinrude Carb/ignition sync/timing

It can get complicated or at least seem so. That is why they print shop manuals (I prefer the factory manual specific for you motor). Take your time and go step by step. Slapping the parts in and expecting it to run well will quickly lead to frustration - quick.