Prop sizing question...

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok here goes...<br /> motor= 1975 85hp johnson<br /> wot= 4700 <br /> prop dia.= 13" pitch=??<br /><br />I've read some posts that say the recommended rpm's @wot should be between 4500-5500. Is this true? If so I guess I am ok at 4700rpm's correct? The boat, (17'Crestliner), only goes about 28mph on the gps. The current propeller has no markings on it that I can find. I measured the dia. and it is 13". By looking at a few sites that sell props the only 13" diam for my motor is a 19" pitch so I assume that is what I got. <br /> Now I am considering either a 13 1/4" X 17 or a<br />13 3/4" X 15. I assume the latter will bring the rpm's up more but what about top end speed and hole shot? I will be pulling a tube on occasion and maybe a skier. What would you guys recommend?<br />Thanks,<br /><br />Rich

boating brad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Prop sizing question...

your over pitched at present you really need to know the pitch of the prop you have now! guessing will only cost you money. if indeed you are presently at 19p you would benefit from a 15p, if you pull a tube or ski. you should aim towards 5200 to 5500rpm that may even be a little low, but surly not high.