Need help...Johnson fuel line

I have a 1956 Johnson 15hp outboard. This is one of the motors with a twin fuel line with a pressureized tank. This engine ran before it was put up about 4 years ago. We just got it out, and now it wont start. The male and female connectors are loose, and I don't know if the engine is getting any gas. I have heard you can convert the twin line into a single fuel line. If so, can anyone help me or guide me on how this can be done? If I get this motor running, I am going to put it on my aluminum jon boat for fishing and duck hunting. <br /><br />Thanks for any help,<br />Cameron

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Need help...Johnson fuel line

It's simpler and cheaper to fix your connectors, if that's your only problem with the pressurized fuel tank. Changing to single line involves a new tank, line, connector, and fuel pump. Plus your going to need to plug the old crankcase hole, and drill and tap the crankcase to accept a new fitting.<br /><br />To repair your connectors, alcan gives you the correct procedure here. <br /><br />However, it sounds to me like you need to clean the carb if it's not starting at all after priming the system. Leaky connectors usually result in "won't stay running" problems. Verify you have spark first.

I have fire in both plugs. I havent got to cleaning the carburator yet, but hopefully this weekend I will be able to get it off, and soak it. All I really want this engine for is to put on my duck boat, and I want something that will get me out there, and get me back. Im only 15, so I dont have to money to go buy a new one, but can afford a used one. Plus, as soon as I get it it will get a nice "custom" camo job. ;) Would I be better off selling this motor as an antique? I mean, its 47 years old, and everything works fine, but I would really like something a little more newer to have on my boat. If I was to sell this, would I be screwing myself over?

I have fire on both plugs. I havent got around to taking the carburator off yet, but hopefully this weekend I will. This is a 47 year old motor, and it will only be for my duck boat. Would I be better off selling this as an antique and buying something a little newer thats used? I am only 15, so I dont have the money to go buy something brand new, and plus, I will give it a custom paint job as soon as i get it :D . If I was to sell this motor, would I be getting my money's worth? I have the motor, twim fuel line, and metal tank. All original from what I can tell. <br /><br />Cam

Paul Moir

Admiral

Sorry to say you won't get much for it. 50's era engines aren't really considered antiques by collectors. Or at least they don't pay antique prices. Fortunetly though, lots of parts are still available.<br /><br />My advice would be to get it running and enjoy. <br /><br />If gas was left in the tank or carburator, after four years it's probably gone bad and turned to varnish. The carburator must be cleaned *spotless* inside and all it's little passages clear of crud if it's going to do it's job. This is done by disassembling the carb, removing all rubber and plastic parts, and then soaking in carb cleaner. After the soaking, you blow out all the passages with compressed air. Could be that the fuel filter or tank pickup screen is clogged too.<br /><br />If you suspect you have fuel delivery problems, you can fill a spray bottle, like a perfume bottle, with 24:1 mix and spray some down the carb throat. If it starts on that then you know you have fuel problems.<br /><br />You're soon going to want to track down a manual for yourself. Iboats will sell you one, but you can probably get one off ebay for a little trouble. Also, public libraries often have them. Try the reference section.<br /><br />Two words of warning: <br />1) Although you have good spark, the ignition coils under the flywheel are probably cracked. If any moisture gets to them they'll stop working. New ones can be had for as little as ~$15 each. You'll need two.<br />2) The waterpump impeller is probably wrecked from sitting. You definitly want a new one of these.<br /><br />Good luck!

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Mudslinger, if your compression is good I would second Paul's advice about the coils and impeller. With proper maintenance this motor should last nearly forever. Also, check the lower unit lube while you're at it. Replace, and use new washers on the vent/fill screws. Good luck!

thanx for all your help guys...i have another question, but it doesnt deal with this, so I'm going to start a new thread.<br /><br />Cam