New Fuel Pump will not pump?

bobaschmidt

Cadet
I have a 1985 Johnson 90 hp VRO. On sat. I was out on the lake and had to pump the primer ball to keep it running. It had a VRO pump that was disabled before I bought the boat. I went to the dealer to get a replacement pump and he gave me a new #438559 Pump without the VRO. After checking connections I went out this morning and still no gas is comming out of the pump. There is gas up to the pump with no leaks. I noticed that I can not blow air from the Gas IN to the gas OUT as I could with the VRO Pump. Is there a break in for a pump or is it a bad pump out of the box? <br />Thank you for your input. :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Fuel Pump will not pump?

Bob... If that is indeed a new fuel pump, designed for that engine, then I would assume it is faulty.<br /><br />I base this on your explanation that the fuel IN line is attached to the proper IN connection on the fuel pump, and that fuel will not travel through the pump to the OUT connection to the carburetors.

bobaschmidt

Cadet

Yes, the lines are: Case pressure, Fuel Line In, & Fuel Line Out.<br /><br />The Case pressure to the back metal base, The Fuel In is the center Gray/Black plastic, and the fuel out is on the filter screen bolt on round on top.<br /><br />The Fuel pump is from a pre VRO V4 Johnson I think it was a 1983 V4. It was new in the box in a sealed bag.<br /><br />Any ideas, Can you test a fuel pump?<br /><br />Thank you for your help :D

bobaschmidt

Cadet

Sorry guys, My fuel in and out were reversed. Runs now. Thank you :rolleyes:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

And now you will never forget that fuel IN goes always to the filter first.