1971 9.5 Johnson

wind knot

Seaman
In the engine bay of a 9.5, how many visable return springs is there?. I found a broken one that hooks into the right clam shell(just below and right of shift linkage), but can't see were it was hooked to?. Also, is there one for the throttle?. :confused: <br />Thanx in advance, Darrell

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 9.5 Johnson

there is not return spring for the throttle.if you are talking about the small spring that runs just below the rich lean linkage (springy line lookin thing that connects from the knob to the carb) thats there it goes right on that line to hold it down and out of the way and to stop it from vibrating.hope this helps let us know

wind knot

Seaman

I never would have guest that. I looked everywhere, for a spot that the spring could hook to. When I got this motor, the mixture line was laying inside the clam shell!. <br /><br />Speaking of mixture, I've noticed the mixture screw doesn't seem to affect the idle all that much?. On the 2 stroke snowmobile engines I've worked on, turning the screw has an immediate affect on the engine!. I've totally cleaned this carb, so there should be no blockage anywhere. <br /><br />Anyway thanx again, :) Darrell

wayne h

these engines take a little time to respond to changes in the mixture screw. sometimes after adjusting it you need to rev it to clear it out and see how it idles.its a low idle mix.if it idles well i would not mess with it.<br />there should be a slot in the "clam shell" case that 1 end of the spring goes in and the over just hooks over the mix line. i also added another spring to mine that goes from that spring to the choke rod because that was rattling too

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Wind.... The following may be of interest to you.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.<br /> <br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

wind knot

Seaman

Thanks, Wayne and Joe!. I've heard that you can get these motors to idle nice and slow. I mainly fish still water lakes in my 12' aluminum, so I really like a good idle. <br /><br />Also, what is the procedure for adjusting the throttle plate linkage, were it meets the plate beneath the the fly wheel?(sorry don't know tech term). I noticed the pin has a wear mark in it were it meets the plate. Will this affect the motors ability to reach full throttle?.<br /><br />Thank's for repyling, to the rookie questions. :) <br />Darrell

wayne h

get a manual for the engine it will tell you everything you need to know look on ebay for a factory service manual thats where i got mine cheap

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Wind.... I think you're speaking of where the cam slides against the carb roller. If so, there is a scribe mark on the cam. The throttle butterfly should just start to open when that scribe mark aligns with the center of the roller.

wayne h

Joe Reeves i see you are from florida my i ask where??? by the way u have helped me with a few things in the past i thank you greatly.i have learned lot from this board,you,and good shop manuals.by the way i am in tampa florida (springhill really)

wind knot

Seaman

I know, I should find a shop manual. I don't belong to ebay Wayne. But I'll try too find one locally.<br /><br />Yes Joe, that is what I was referring too. I'll look a little closer for the scribe mark.<br /><br />Thanx again, Darrell

wayne h

if its not against the cam when you have the cam follower at the scribe mark you can losen the screw on the carb that holds the arm against the cam follower.once you losen the screw push the arm against the cam follower at the scribe mark and tighten the screw make sure the throttle rod does not move on the carb when you are retighening.if there is a little wear on the cam follower its ok the engine is 30 years old you will have some wear hahah i always put a light coat of grease on my cam and follower.if you are going to look for a manual try to stay away from manuals that cover alot of engines. i mean they are better then nothing but they really dont tell you detail about your engine.