Johnson Identification

zSEAHORSE

Recruit
I just got a new outboard, a Johnson. Its numbers are model # QD-24M (at least it looks like a Q, it may be an O) and serial # 2328882. It is a 10 horse. Is this a 1964 Seahorse as I’ve been told? Other questions will follow, but I need to know what I’m dealing with first. Thank you.

alcan

Commander
Re: Johnson Identification

Your QD24 is a 1963 model 10hp

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yes it is. Here's a picture & specs on a 1960 10hp. <br />Champion J4C gapped at 0.030 is your sparkplug.

zSEAHORSE

Recruit

Thank you very much. Now specific questions if you folks have the time and patience for a greenhorn. <br /><br />First, when running,without twisting the throttle, it'll kick down to a slower speed out of nowhere. Any idea why?<br /><br />Second.there is a small hole in the lower unit on the underside of the area above the prop. It was dripping a yellowish fluid. Is this normal extraction and what is the purpose of the hole?<br /><br />I just filled the lower unit with lube and the person who gave me the motor said I have to keep an eye on it as some water is leaking in at present? Is this tied to the yellow discharge?