Threading on the new steering cable

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, I did everything right, got the old cable out, cleaned out the tilt tube real good w/drill, solvent, shotgun brush and all. New cable slides right through the tilt tube great. But, I cannot get the threads on the cable nut to engage the tilt tube. Is this aluminum cable nut some sort of self locking thread that requires persuasion? Or should it go smooth? Tilt tube is in decent shape, including threads. Anyone done this before please help, I don't want to damage the new cable (if I haven't already). It is a Teleflex no-feedback steering system going to an 82 Evinrude 55horse.

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Threading on the new steering cable

I just put on a NFB Safe-T II on my boat and the nut that goes onto the tilt tube could be hand tightened a few turns before I had to put a wrench on it. Also, make sure your cable is at a good angle to the tilt tube when you go to fasten it - if it's coming in at a sharp angle it may be causing the threads to bind - good Luck!

wildwolf

Cadet

It should of gone on nice and smooth, check and make sure the threads on the inside of the nut are not cross threaded, same with the tube. Other than that as long as the cable is the correct one for the boat and motor it should have gone on with out a problem. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any locker material on that nut, just look at the inside threads and if you see any nylon material, then it is a locker and will have to be persuaded.<br />Let me know what you find out.<br /><br />Wolf

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks folks. Maybe the tilt tube threads look okay but are boogered up just enough to be problematic. PO had cross threaded the old cable nut on. I'm going to try chasing the threads on the tilt tube and give it another shot. Will let you know what I find out.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here was the problem, hoping to save someone else the same. The tilt tube is a non-standard size/thread, so you can't get a nut and dress the threads. I inspected very close and found that on the bottom of the tilt tube, the first thread was slightly pushed in towards the second thread. That's all it takes, and the steering cable won't thread on; its sensitive. I took the dremel w/cutoff wheel and carefully cut off the first thread of the tilt tube, then smoothed it up with a stone. New steering cable threaded right on!