88 HP Johnson won't turn over with key.

Guvner..

Seaman Apprentice
1989 engine. No fuse is blown but the engine will start if you just short the two main terminals together. I'm assuming I either burned a wire or the ignition switch but not having a wiring schematic that seems to point to my actual engine makes it tough. <br /><br />I also went from the positive to the solenoid but got nothing as if there was no ground to the other side of the solenoid. Since the engine won't die from turning it off or pulling the kill switch I'm hoping that tells one of you what the problem most likely is. <br /><br />Just can't seem to find a decent schematic. Or just some good know how would be nice. Any ideas as to where you could find one? Any ideas on the problem. It won't turn over but the push of the key energises the one relay. Also turning the key to off will not kill the engine nor pulling the kill switch. Ignition area seems to exercise no control over the motor other than being able to push the key in for that.<br /><br />Are all Johnson motors using the same start up circuit? I posted this before but didn't get one answer so bringing it to the front of the pile again hoping to catch one of you boat enthusiasts.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Gary

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 88 HP Johnson won't turn over with key.

From what you've posted, I believe you have either a faulty control box or a poor/corroded ground wire somewhere. Remove, thoroughly clean & re-tighten every wire that grounds to the engine. Don't forget the battery terminals. If that doesn't work, check the control box. <br />Backlash

clanton

Rear Admiral

The yellow/red stripe wire from starter solenoid to switch should be hot when switch is in start position. The small black wire on starter solenoid should go to ground on block. Engine stop wire is black/yellow stripe wire, start at powerpack and work farward. The black/yellow wire is switched to ground to stop engine.

XR250Phoenix

Cadet

I had a similar problem with my controls, it turned out to be the 4-inch long wire from the neutral safety switch to the ignition switch. I found it was easier to check all my wires for continuity rather than try looking for power through them.