V4 Johnnyrudes are they noisy ?

G DANE

Commander
I recently bought a 115 V4, but havnt ran it yet.<br /><br />Now just waiting for boat to be ready. Just wondering: It this a noisy or quiet motor ??<br /><br />If a 2 cyl 60HP looper i Know is noiselevel 5, what would a V4 be like. Any guesses ?

NathanY

Commander
Re: V4 Johnnyrudes are they noisy ?

I think it has to do with the position of the driver's seat.<br /><br />The 85hp Johnson I just sold, was the quietest motor Ive ever owned. On the otherhand, My 25hp is the loudest.

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

I own a '98 model 90 hp 'rude (V4 loop charged)and it is very quiet. Great engine so far. I grew up with mercs which were good engines also but very noisy. The johnnyrudes, to me, were always much quieter at any range.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It depends, G Dane.<br /><br />The cross scavenged engines were noisier than the loopers, and any that has lost noise insulation from inside the bonnet is noisier than with it.<br /><br />As 2 stroke carbed engines go, they aren't particularly noisy.

G DANE

Commander

Thanks for replies. It is a Crossflow, 91.<br /><br />The transom on the boat is that high ( or the splahswell deep :) that it is possiple to make some kind of lid, covering top of splashwell over the motor, clousing the top. I would attach it with hinges it, allowing motor to tilt up. Guess that would help a bit too. I know - i´m on my way to boat questions now.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I always thought the V4 was reasonably quite. I<br />can hardly hear mine from the helm.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

my 125 Johnson V 4 is dead quiet, quietest motor I ever heard<br /><br />course<br /><br />thats cause its dead, lol, but boy is it heavy, could hold a battleship in place with that sucker<br /><br />is a 71 125 a looper or a crossflow? or just OLD?<br /><br />I wonder how noisy it will be, lol, I dont care, as long as its noisy all the way back to the dock!!!

sailor_turned_stinkpotter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ive had recent experience with exactly both those engines you mention Dane, a twin 60 and a 115 four.<br />In my opinion the 60 was about 20 percent louder on muffs in the driveway, and about the same noise level as the 115 on a sea trial.<br />However, on a sea trial the 60s noise sounded very similar to a tractor, while the 115 sounded more like a purring two stroke moto cross bike, if you know what i mean.<br />But overall I would say they are both about a 5.<br />regards,<br />dave.

G DANE

Commander

Thanks for your replies everybody - i am really looking foreward to try it at sea.