89 Johnson 88 HP starting problems..

Guvner..

Seaman Apprentice
I was attaching the cables to a starter and the memory of the wire I took off the battery allowed it to touch the terminal just as I got near the postive on the solenoid. No fuse was blown but the engine will start if you just short the two main terminals together. I bought a book on Johnson's by Clymer but it seems very short on good wiring diagrams. I'm assuming a either burned a wire or the ignition switch but not having a wiring schematic that seems to point to my actual engine makes it tough. I'm an HVAC guy and can wire most anything. Just can't seem to find a decent schematic in that book. Any ideas as to where you could find one? Any ideas on the problem. It won't turn over but the push of the key energises the relay. Also turning the key to off will not kill the engine.<br /><br />Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this engine would be appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Gary

Guvner..

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 89 Johnson 88 HP starting problems..

Just to reiterate one point I'm assuming will click on those of you who are guru's in this area. The key will not turn off the engine. The kill switch will not kill the engine. I'm looking at a general wiring diagram that supposedly covers all others (Other than one strange one..) and it seems pretty straight forward. Are most Johnson's about exactly the same on startup? Terminals 5 to 4 on switch and white wire from solenoid to safety switch to ground? That's all my book shows saying it covers all others... Thanks... Gary..