Evinrude Tilt & Trim question 1989 90 hp

Jmorrell588

Seaman
1989 Evinrude 90hp V-4 Crossflow.....<br /><br /> My Tilt and Trim is making a whinning/groaning sound when raising it while sitting still. Almost as if the battery was low. Once it reaches the first extension, it thens sounds normal. Lowering the unit seems fine with a slight whine. What might cause this sound? The Trim & Tilt motor going out or maybe the Relay's? Maybe air in the system?<br />Also note! I see the trim and tilt gauge kind of stuter when I trim when boat is in motion.<br /> I have noticed that while giving the motor gas and just getting up to plain, you can feel the motor knock. Almost like the shift lever is out of adjustment but I do think that it is the trim and tilt. <br /><br /> Any help is so very welcomed....<br /><br /> Jimmy

Jamar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude Tilt & Trim question 1989 90 hp

I have an 84 evinrude 90hp v4. It has always made a slightly different sound when triming vs tilting. Bigger cylinder, takes more work to operate, operates faster to tilt than to trim. It may be normal. Check the fluid to be sure it doesnt have air in the system. If the sound seems that abnormal to you and you are worried, trailer it by a shop and let them listen to it? Prolly wouldnt charge much to check it out. replacement trim/tilt units go for around 200 i believe(do it yourself parts cost)