Best cleaner for lower unit?

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is the best cleaner to put in a lower unit to clean out all of the "milkshake" from a leak that allowed the grease/water mix to happen? I have replaced the vent/fill hole washers and want to test it (according to a great post I was turned on to on this board THANKS!!)<br />It is still on the motor and I want to put it in the vent hole and have it drain out. <br />Thank you,<br />Scott

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best cleaner for lower unit?

The only thing I've heard of people doing is to just fill and drain it a few times, using lower unit lube oil.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I've used premix. Don't let it set, just fill 'er up and drain it. Then fill it with lube.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you may have to fill/run/drain/refill/run...etc as many as four or five times to get out all the water but I've never heard of using a cleaner :cool:

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seems like it would be hard to determine if you have fixed the problem/leak if the amount of water let in is small since you will have small amounts of water left over. In order to not kill the rest of the seals I guess I will just go with the fill/drain/fill/drain/fill/drain/fill. Wait, I forgot to run the motor during the process.<br />Thanks Guys, I’m off to pick up some lube (50 gallons ;) )and seals for the vent/fill holes.<br />scott