prop woes....thank god for power tech!

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks god for power tech!<br /> i had a power tech 13.5/25 pitch prop(old one)and it wasn't turning the rpm's i wanted. bought a new power tech 14.25/23 pitch and it got even worse(5000 with 23-5500 with 25) bolth were 4 blades.sent the 23 back in exchange for a 14.25/19 and tried that yesterday.6000rpm's and hole shot is awsome. i'm only getting 60mph out of my 21 baja(3100lbs dry).do you guys think a 17 pitch would get me to 6500rpm?i've been told by Dhadley i should get as close to my 6700rpm rev limiter as possible for my motor. thanks for the help and sorry so long!...james

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: prop woes....thank god for power tech!

But...<br /><br />You don't tell what motor you have? Makes it hard to give any advice...<br /><br />Generally you should use a prop that suits your need (top end?) and keeps you within the recommended rpm range at WOT.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You need to get as close as possible (as close as your hull design will allow) to your target rpm by set up. Only a as last resort should you drop that much pitch.<br /><br />It sounds like the large diameter 19 is getting close. Now its time to play with X dimension, gearcase shape and possibly tweak the running surface of the hull. <br /><br />If you use the true (GPS) speed you can figure slip % and figure which prop to work with as far as slip % and lift.<br /><br />Good luck!

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the motor is a 1991 evinrude 250 V8. even with my detwiler jackplate all the way up i still can't pull more the 6000rpm's.so you guy's think going to a 17 would be a bad idea? thanks...james

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry...<br /> i need to add that the motor is set back 33 inches from the transom with a stainless marine 27 inch bracket and the detwiler is a 6 inch setback model. do you think this could be a problem? the boat is designed to have a big block in it!....james

Hooty

Rear Admiral

dhadley is da man. I think I would dink around with the X dimension like he suggested. You may have to move your engine up another hole on your jackplate.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty