help with a 71 johnson 125 o/b she's in the water thanks

tmcampbell

Cadet
i bought this boat at a steal only 300 it needed some work but nothing too major....work is done and now the motor wants to act a fool....supposedly the motor has not been run in several years and has recently had some work done to the power unit....i got it to start but for some reason it only starts intermidently and does not stay running when i move the selector from start to run....plugs look clean and provide a good spark....both butterflies are operating freely....fuel flow is free....i did notice a cloud of smoke when it shut down the last time however i assume that is from sitting for so long....the prop started to spin while the motor was rumnning and in netural....prop spins freely to the right with engine off....i assume that the drive unit is in netural....any help or advice would be appericated....thanks tommy just in case you need it heres the model number 125esl71c

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Re: help with a 71 johnson 125 o/b she's in the water thanks

lol, I made the same deal 15 years ago on a 18 Starcraft with that 71 125 ... HydroElectric shift, balky brain boxes, eh ... still it sits, a frustration cast in aluminum and steel, but then again I bought the boat for the BOAT, the 125 was a spare anchor to me at the time.<br /><br />Ill be watching, keep posting and take some pictures, after all, ya cant brag about a Big Johnson if it dont work!!<br /><br /> :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dang CR you do have a way with words :D :D <br /><br />Hey TC....welcome to iboats forum....<br /><br />If the engine has set for a long time, chances are the carbs need pulled disassembled and cleaned. The way you discribe what the problem is leads me to this. Carb kits are available for your engine so thats' not a problem.<br /><br />Also, I would check the lower unit for any signs of water or anything else that's not supposed to be there. Replace gear lube only with a premium C lube. These lubes are made for electric shift outboards. Props will spin in neutral on occasion especially when there out of the water. Has to do with the gear lube and a bunch of physics type stuff. Do keep us posted on how your doing.

tmcampbell

Cadet

lol funny you say that....i hope that is not the case with this motor....i did buy the boat for the BOAT....i have pictures from the time i bought it all the way through the repairs and now the completed project i will post them on my homepage in the next couple days....

tmcampbell

Cadet

thanks for the idea....i did look at the carbs but only a brief external inspection....had considered that as a possible solution....but thought i should have a few other ideas before i went off repairing things that do not need repairing....as i have been known to do....lol

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

LOL, well, I do try to keep things entertaining without getting JB irked at me, lol, its a tightrope at times, but Im bein good!<br /><br />well ...<br /><br />sorta! :p <br /><br />anyway, so if I were to figure out a way to stand that wascally muhmuhmuh MONSTER up on a stand, and blow some juice into her - I think it has a starter box and all that, I know I have controls for her ... and ascertain that she was freed up, would carb kits be my first step? shes been sitting er ummmm about ... jeeze, how the helll long ... maybe 18 years? at least 16 years and I dont know if she was run dry when she spun her last ... its sad, shes a beauty, fresh water engine, under the hood looks like NEW, but she quit on the guy that sold it, and he was fed up with it, so I got the deal of a lifetime, I had been looking for a Starcraft in the 18 to 21 foot range<br />the ... shift valve? shift actuator? is sort of apart, Ill have to break out the Digichrome, and take a few dozen pictures <br /><br />once I get the Crestliner under way with that 66 Johnson, that is ... the 125 is definitely on hold til I get the simple motors fixed, once I get some confidence going Ill attack that beast<br /><br />although I feel its going to attack ME!<br />My back, my wallet, my bal ... whoops, JB may be lurking, :eek: my ballast, whatever it can get!!!<br /><br /> :cool:

tmcampbell

Cadet

well so far only the carb solution has been offered anyone else have an idea or willing to take a stab in the dark....weekend is almost here and it looks like im gonna be stuck on the shore again :( please help.....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Tcamps... You state "it only starts intermidently and does not stay running when i move the selector from start to run".<br /><br />I assume that by "selector", you're speaking of the ignition switch. If so, that would indicate that you are properly applying 12v to the powerpack ONLY when the key is in the "start" position. Check the wiring and the switch itself as 12v would need to be applied to the pack on both settings.<br /><br />The carburetors..... remove, clean and rebuild them on general principles if nothing else. I'll include the adjustment provedure below.<br /><br />I'll also include the procedure for testing the powerpack on that model.<br /><br />--------------<br /><br />(Dual Carb V/4 With 4 (2 each carb) Slow Speed Adjustable N/Valves)<br /><br />The adjustment procedure of the carburetor slow speed needle valves follows. NOTE... if the needle valves turn too freely, replace the nylon bearing retainer (the nylon item at the front of the carb that the needle valve goes through first) with the newer type RED retainer #315232. If your engine has that weird linkage that connects all four of those needle valves, the newer RED retainers will enable you to discard that linkage. The RED retainers make it impossible for the needle valves to viberate out of adjustment. <br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - 2 Slow Speed Adjustable Needle Valves, each carburetor) <br /><br />Initial setting is: All (4) Slow speed valves = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns. <br /><br />Facing the carburetors, start with the top left needle valve, then the top right valve, then the bottom let valve, then the bottom right valve. It may be necessary to redo these steps to get the adjustments ideally set <br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. <br /><br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />Do not attempt to gradually adjust all four of the valves at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.<br /><br />---------------<br /><br />(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)<br />Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)<br /><br />Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. <br /><br />Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire). <br /><br />Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed. <br /><br />Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure

tmcampbell

Cadet

by selector i was speaking of the warm up lever on the control panel. thanks for the advice i will check out the things you said and get back to ya....thanks again

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I dont remember a warm up lever ... whats that for? Choke?

tmcampbell

Cadet

ok so i pulled down the carbs today and found that the high speed oraface on the lower carb was all but clooged....i am not able to remove that oraface either....top carb came out fine but the lower one is stuck....anyone know if that oraface has to come out or will soaking it in parts cleaner be sufficent....still hoping for the lake sunday....fingers crossed :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral

tcamp's website <br /><br />What year 'stron is that? They're good boats. I built beaucoup of 'um. We'd like to see the finished product too.<br /><br />You should be able to get the varnish and other cr*p out of those orficii with a can of carb cleaner.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

tmcampbell

Cadet

its a 1971 16' 5" love it so far but ready to put it in the water :D .....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Tcamp.... When the orifices can't be removed, along with carb cleaner, clean them out manually with a piece of solid mechanics wire or a large size paper clip.

tmcampbell

Cadet

finally carbs cleaned and put back on the motor....have not run it as of yet....had a friend come over and he checked the lower unit oil...what a mess....like milk....was wondering if i needed to tear down and replace seals and so on before i ran the motor on hose....also the hydro eletric lower unit how complicated is the rebuild?i have the manual....will post finished pictures later on tonight.....thanks for the help

Hooty

Rear Admiral

That l/u is rebuildable but I'd change the lube in it and run it for a while first and see just how bad it is. After you drain all the old lube, leave it open to the atmosphere for a day or two and let any moisture in it dry out. You probably know that it takes a special lower unit lube, "Type C" I think. Post those fotos.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

tmcampbell

Cadet

well i am finally gonna post those pics....will let everyone know about the motor in the next couple of days....i gotta pick up a couple things from the dealer tomorrow....

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Saw tha fotos. Lookin' good!<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

ok i didnt read all the posts but i had a simallair prob wit me 1979 johnson 115, it wasent as bad but it would bog down when i moves the lever then all i did was replace some 2 gaskets on the carb and it prob gone and it picked up a 1,000 RPM!!! so sound like it was the carbs but u prob know that by now lol :D