no fire to spark plugs on 50 hp johnson

docjohnson

Cadet
Tried to start up boat for first time this year and it started once and quit. It will turn over, but not start. I have no fire to the spark plugs, but the starter works, the switch seems to be ok, all the grounds seem fine, the push in automatic choke doesn't seem to be working, when I manually choke it still won't start. I replaced the spark plugs, the rectifier, and unplugged the main power cord to the motor to check the ground on the ignition switch and still no fire. I don't know what to do next, I ordered a new ignition switch just in case it is that. The model number is J48ESLCCC, the serial number is G7756886. Please explain in simple layman's terms as I am a mechanic with no experience on boat motors. I did order a manual also. Thanks for any help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: no fire to spark plugs on 50 hp johnson

Doc.... I hope you ordered a service manual via the model number of that engine. It is not a 50hp, rather it is a 1988 48hp Johnson.<br /><br />Are you actually checking the spark, with the spark plugs removed, and having some sort of tester set up whereas you can set a 7/16" gap to check the spark while cranking the engine? If not, do so and double check the spark.<br /><br />If you were checking the spark properly and had the RED main electrical plug disconnected and had no spark, you can consider the ignition switch to be okay.<br /><br />The choke/fuel primer solenoid clicking sound that it emits when you push the key in is hard to hear at times. Have someone else standing by the engine with the hood off, then with the key ON, push the key in. There should be a dull clicking sound within it. Be sure that the red lever on that primer solenoid is turned so that it faces down along the top of the solenoid. If that red lever is facing away, that allows fuel to flow straight through it which would of course flood the engine quite quickly.<br /><br />Note that the rectifier has nothing to do with the ignition, that component converts the AC voltage from the stator to DC voltage in order to charge the battery.<br /><br />Should you find that you still have no spark, the powerpack is suspect. If you were mistaken and do have spark, the carburetors are suspect and most likely fouled (if the primer solenoid red lever was in the correct position).

docjohnson

Cadet
Re: no fire to spark plugs on 50 hp johnson

Thanks Joe for the advice, the motor is a rebuilt 48 hp Johnson with bigger heads on it so it is a 50 hp now. Yes, we ordered the right manual and I used a homemade tester light on the spark plug wire and grounded it to the boat and the light did not come on when I turned the motor over. Also I had my wife turn the ignition switch on and watched the automatic choke at the engine and it never clicked or moved. I figure the choke will work if I ever figure out the electrical problem to the spark plugs. I don't think ours has a red lever on the primer solenoid at least I haven't found one where is it? Figured out the rectifier had nothing to do with it, that's other peoples bad advice! from a marina no less! Any other suggestions, it has two coils, could they both be bad at the same time or what, and how could I check them? I don't have an ohm meter! The fuse is good also from the red wire from the starter solenoid.