83 evinrude shift problem

Deuce22

Seaman Apprentice
Started the engine yesterday in the yard all was well . Shifted into gear all was well. Dropped it in the water and it would not go in to gear ( forward or reverse). I took a look at the linkage cable but can't seem to find out if it has stretched out or diconnected. I can move the linkage with my hand and it seems to go into gear.<br />I would like to know , what kind of job this would be and how hard is it? <br />Thanks Deuce

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 83 evinrude shift problem

Put it in gear by hand and see if you can turn the prop.<br /><br />In neutral it will turn real easy, but in gear it will be real hard to turn.<br /><br />Get back to us when you have done that and we can tell you more about it then.

Deuce22

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Spinner,<br />I'll try that this afternoon. But I do know that it went into gear when I had it in the yard.<br />I'll get back to you later!<br />Deuce

Deuce22

Seaman Apprentice

Put the motor in gear manually and the prop would not turn . You can tell it was engaged.<br />What Next.....? I traced my gear cable from the motor to the shifter. There doesn't seem to be any places were the cable has broken thru.<br />Could it have come loose inside the shift housing?<br />Help ....<br />Thanks Deuce