Missing air filter? Evinrude 1989 spl 28 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojaker

Recruit
Hi, I was given a boat and motor a few years ago and have always wondered why there is no air cleaner. I asked my uncle who gave it to me and is also the original motor owner, about it, and he claims there never was one. This is the only boat I have owned, but I have turned a wrench for many a year for my living, and have never before seen an internal combustion without having some type of air filtering device. <br /><br />Anyway there are I believe two threaded holes on the carb face that looks as though they were meant for something like a filter.<br /><br />When I searched the forum no air filter results came back.<br />Could it be that outboards have no air cleaner?<br /><br />Model # is E28ESLCUC<br /><br />I was also wondering how many hours of operation I could reasonably expect before overhaul on a little engine like this. Also are there any kind of performance parts available for this motor?<br /><br />I would like to say this is one of the best forums I have encountered on the web. Keep up the good work folks!

FLATHEAD

Commander
Re: Missing air filter? Evinrude 1989 spl 28 hp

I have a 1990 28 spl that I bought second hand. It too has no filter. The original owner said it never had one. I believe these motors did not have one.

bojaker

Recruit

Thanks for the fast reply flahthead. Doesn't that seem a bit risky on the part of Evinrude? It would be pretty easy to suck in a foreign object big enough to damage the engine this way, not to mention airborne dirt.<br /><br />I wonder if an air cleaner assembly from a simuliar motor would fit?

Walker

Captain

Those, and most other outboards don't have air cleaners. They do have what sound boxes. Just plastic boxes with rear facing air holes but no kind of filter material in them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We only put air filters on them on dusty lakes. :D :D <br /><br />The combination of air boxes and engine covers must do a pretty good job of keeping foreign objects, like bugs, out. <br /><br />I have never seen or heard of an engine problem due to something getting into the carb except through the fuel line.

bojaker

Recruit

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm relieved to know that I haven't been screwing up running it that way. I guess there really isn't much dust on water, and the way things are set up it would be rather hard to suck anything in the carb. Just wanted to be sure about the filter. <br />Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.