Primer Bulb Contracts

MurphyS

Cadet
On my '93 Evinrude 175, I can run at full throttle for 20-30 minutes, then I get intermittent beeps and then a continuous warning alarm. Checked the therms, I am not overheating, but I noticed that the primer bulb had completely contracted and could not be squeezed. <br /><br />Is this normal, or should the primer bulb be hard at full throttle? The warning alarm may be correctly indicating a fuel flow restriction. <br /><br />Am I on the right track?<br /><br />Coincidentally (or not), the tach is malfunctioning as well.<br /><br />Thanks for any help.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Primer Bulb Contracts

I would replace the bulb and the hose with oem.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Could be a restricted or plugged tank vent<br /> also some kind of blockage between tank and ball.<br />Dont forget to check the dip tube in the tank.

MurphyS

Cadet

Update on Evinrude 175 Fuel Problem:<br /><br />I replaced the bulb, changed fuel/water separator, and knocked-out the anti-siphon valve. The vent seems to flow just fine.<br /><br />Nonetheless, still having fuel restriction alarm horn and primer bulb gets sucked completely flat at high RPMs.<br /><br />I'm stumped. Any thoughts on where to go from here? Thanks much.

FredM

Seaman Apprentice

There has to be a resriction between the bulb and the tank if the bulb is going flat. Replace the hose as roscoe said and check all tank fittings.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't wanna sound stupid but, did you check the flow arrow on the bulb. If it's backwards it will mess with ya. And if that's not it get some new hose.