older evinrude--no spark

airmech

Cadet
I have a 5 hp outboard that had bulging coils and no spark, then i found 2 coils that looked brand new off another evinrude and replaced points and condensers with new ones.-still no spark--second set of coils could be bad but wanted to know how does the engine stop,does it ground out when u turn handle to stop????/ the plate may be hooked up wrong which in turn may be grounding the spark all of the time.will buy coils if needed as they are only 14 dollars but wanted to check problem first/.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: older evinrude--no spark

Hey airmech....<br /><br />First, posting a year or model number would help us better help you with your problem.<br /><br />Replacing old coils with old coils just don't get it unless you know the coils are good. Get the new ones. A service manual will help also. In your case a generic like Seloc or Clymers would do fine. (check iboats store for manuals) <br /><br />At what gap did you set the points? Should be .020. With out seeing your engine, I'm going to guess that on the cam there is a place marked "SET". Put the points wiper here to set the gap. <br /><br />With the old new coils in place, did you set the air gap? This is the distance between the coils and flywheel magnet. Here's how to do it. Look at the posts the coils set on. At the top of each post you will see a small chamfered edge. The coils need to be aligned even with the edge of the chamfer for correct air gap.<br /><br />Don't forget to check the flywheel key. Make sure its in good shape. Torque the flywheel nut to 50-60lbs (if I remember right).<br /><br />Keep us posted as to your progress. Thanks.

airmech

Cadet

obj,<br />thanks for responding--it's a 1960 5 hp gale which is exactly like a evinrude and i have done everything u said even the airgap.if it isn't the coils i believe the baseplate is not right and somehow is grounding constantly.was gonna put a rubber gasket between coil-points plate and lower plate to see if it then gets spark

Walker

Captain

That won't work. The base needs to be grounded to give a negative field to the static side of the points. The points spark from the positive charge on the side of the points that move to the negative (grounded) point that doesn't move. No ground on that side no spark.