Gas Hog

dookie911

Recruit
Whats Up Yall! I Just Recently Purchased A 1979 85hp johnson outboard V4.........Nice Motor, But I Just Ran It Today. It Burned 7 Gallons Of Gas In About 25 Minutes................Is This Normal??????? If Not, What Would Cause It To Burn So Much Gas????

NathanY

Commander
Re: Gas Hog

Dang that is alot of fuel. There is just no way that could have happened, that much fuel would have flooded that motor, and poured out the carbs. I would check for a fuel leak somewhere. Seriously, you either have a leak somewhere, or maybe your fuel gauge is messed up.

dookie911

Recruit

Its Not My Gauge Cuz I Don't Have One..I Use The Portable 6 Gallon Cans. I Just Replaced The Gas Line Too!!!!! I Did Have The Work Done To The Carbs...Ya Know Had Them Rebuilt With Rebuild Kits........Its Pushing A 24 Foot Pontoon...I Had A 50hp Force On There For Many Years. That Motor Could Go All Day On 6 Gallons.......Anymore Suggestions??????????????<br /> Thanks!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Well obviously the motor isnt running right. The first thing to check is the fuel pump. If the diaphram has a pin hole in it it will dump fuel thru #4 cylinder. Look at that plug and see if it doesnt look different than the other three.<br /><br />Good luck!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If its a "new to you" engine, I would put in a new fuel filter and put in a fuel pump rebuild kit. Then check all hoses and fittings for a leak. "Normal" fuel use should be about 6-8 gal per hour at WOT. Probably 1-2 gal per hour at toon drifting speed.