Old Hurricane Deck Boats

Costello

Cadet
I want a boat for entertaining, tubing for the kids, and fishing. I live on a relatively shallow inland lake.<br /><br />I just bought a 16-foot, 1972 Hurricane Sport Decker deck boat (120 HP stern drive Mercruiser). It looks like it's in great shape. The previous owner dropped about $4,000 into the boat--he replaced all the rubber components of the engine, added a table, a fishing seat, did work on the trailer, etc.<br /><br />Does anyone know the reputation of this boat? Did I make the right move or did I just buy a lemon? <br /><br />I have a chance to upgrade to a 17-foot, 1984 Hurricane deck boat with a 115 HP Mercury outboard for about $1,000 more than the 1972. Should I make the move?<br /><br />I'm new to boating; Advice is very helpful right now. Thanks!<br /><br />-Robert

D

DJ

Re: Old Hurricane Deck Boats

New to Boating,<br /><br />They were fine, still are. The hulls were a little rough in chop, but that's a trade off for the stability at rest.<br /><br />As long as she is solid, you're OK.

Costello

Cadet
Re: Old Hurricane Deck Boats

djohns19,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply. This quickly is becoming my favorite Web site.<br /><br />-Robert