are reman powerheads any good?

willxuout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a remanufactured powerhead for a 96 evinrude 225hp v6 90 deg looper for EJB Marine in Orlando, Florida. Are remanufactured powerheads going to last a long time if broken in properly? How many hours can I expect? Can this powerhead every be rebuilr again?<br /><br />Thanks for your opinions and/or experiences.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: are reman powerheads any good?

Good questions. A true remanufactured powerhead will be built to new clearances with new parts. Therefore it should have the same lifespan as that of a new powerhead.<br /><br />A rebuillt powerhead will be built within the accaptable wear tolerances of a given powerhead.<br /><br />Only the shop that did the work can answer your questions as they are the ones who know what the block was bored to, what clearances were used and what type of parts were replaced.<br /><br />The number 1 thing is to determine why the original one had to be replaced (what caused the failure). Without fixing the CAUSE you have only fixed the EFFECT.<br /><br />Good luck!

willxuout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dhadley:<br /><br />Supposedly the original powerhead detonated due to lack of oil. I premix my fuel with omc oil at 40:1. The mechanic that tore down the seized powerhead said the fuel hoses that connect to each carb were rotten. The top two hoses were kinked causing a fuel restriction and a lean condition in the top carbs. The upper crank bearing is cracked and came out in pieces. He is putting a different rebuilt powerhead on it and is restoring the VRO system to its original condition with all new parts. I am under the impression that even if the fuel was restricted that with the VRO the cylinders will still be getting the proper lubrication. Is this true?<br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The fuel/oil pump (you dont have a VRO - your pump mixes at a steady 50:1) mixes the oil and fuel before the carbs. If the lines feeding the carbs were kinked you could indeed have fuel flow restricted to those carbs. <br /><br />You mentioned that the motor went into detonation. If it failed due to a lack of oil there would be damage on the sides of the pistons. Detonation usually means there is a hole burned in the top of the piston - usually toward the exhaust side. <br /><br />The upper main dropping out is not common but it does happen. We "stake" the bearing in place in the housing.<br /><br />Good luck!

93bronco

Ensign

yes this site have one vendor that will provide up to a 24mon nofault warranty. that sounds pretty darn good.