Steering Loss - help!

hortusthird

Cadet
I just bought a 19ft sea nymph fish and Ski with a 90h Yamaha O/B :( and a 9.5 Johnson kicker. I went out fishing on Lake Michigan, got to our site, and the main steering went out on the Yamaha. There is a large gage orange tube (cable? hydrollic tube?) that runs from the engine to the steerwheel and it looks in good shape. Under the dash the orange tube connects into the top side of the steering wheel box. On the bottom side of the steering wheel box there is a smaller gage cable that runs out about 12" and is tubed and capped off. This cable moves in and out as you turn the wheel, but it appears not to go to anything? The steering wheel is made by morse.<br /><br />What do I do next to solve the problem?

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Steering Loss - help!

The long line that goes to the motor has a cable inside of it. If the cable breaks or unwinds, you won't be able to steer. The 12" tube behind the helm is what pulls the cable in and out. Try to disconnect the cable from the motor and see if when you turn the wheel the cable goes in and out. If it doesn't, that means the cable or the black tube is broken. You can buy the complete Morse teleflex system for about $125.

hortusthird

Cadet

Do I need to replace the whole system or can I just replace the Helm. Or does the kit come with both the helm and cable?

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

buy the kit with helm and cable...they're like tennis shoes-if one goes the others not far away :cool: