Evinrude 40 VRO upsize to 50 ?

raf235

Cadet
Hi everyone,<br /><br />I just bought a used sportboat with a very clean 1988 Evinrude 40VRO (with apparently, only 85 hours freshwater running by one owner). <br /><br />I've got two questions about it that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with,<br /><br />I already have the Clymer manual for Evinrude/Johnson 2-70hp engines for 1995-1998. The 40 VRO engine in there looks exactly the same as my 1988 model apart from the colour. Is it mostly the same model ?<br /><br />Also, In the manual the 40hp and the 50hp have exactly the same capacity and develop their max HP at the same revs (4500 to 5500). Is it easy to upgrade the 40 ? In the manual the only differences seems to be the jet sizes and the idle mixture setting.<br /><br />Thanks for any help anyone can give me,<br /><br />Paul (from the UK)

echozulu

Seaman
Re: Evinrude 40 VRO upsize to 50 ?

hi paul yes they are basically the same exept for the exhaust megaphone,but you would have to do too much disasembly to modify it. it would involve pulling the l/u.. pulling the powerhead..pulling the driveshaft housing.. you probably wouldnt notice much difference anyway...thanks to the brits for standing with us

raf235

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 40 VRO upsize to 50 ?

Thanks for the very quick and concise reply EchoZulu.<br /><br />Yes, I don't think I'm going to start stripping it down to that extent, and I expect the cost of the 50's exhaust megaphone would rule it it anyhow...<br /><br />Thanks again :) <br /><br />Paul