Fast Idle

timks

Recruit
I have a 1995 Evinrude 150, Model E150ele0m, I have had this problem now for 2 years. After running the engine for hours, then shutting it off and letting it sit for a while when I restart the engine goes to fast idle and stays there, tried shutting off and usally it goes back to fast idle. When putting in gear and trying to pick up speed it dies, and after several tries it finally acts right and I might not have this problem for several more boating trips. Last year I replaced the vapor seperator pump, Rectifier, and float,needle and seat, all these replacements were based on dealers telling me to do this to try and fix this problem. It might happen on a boating trip and sometimes it dosent happen. It seems to always happen after running the engine for a while and then after shutting off and restarting after 30 minutes or so this fast idle will happen.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fast Idle

Carefully observe where the throttle plate is in relation to the throttle stop when it idles correctly and when it idles fast. Do the same for the ignition timing advance arm. Find out if the problem is in the linkage or if it is somewhere else. It could be that the engine advance is not correctly synchronized with the throttle advance. It could also be that the engine is occasionally running lean at idle, most engines will speed up a bit when they start to lean out. That may also be why it dies on acceleration.