Johnson 15hp motor with carb trouble???

mike_88

Cadet
hi, I have a 1982 15hp johnson outboard motor. <br />I tried to start it last week but it would not fire. I checked the fuel pump and gas was geting to it. So then I squrited some fuel in the Carburetor and it started and ran for a few seconds. What is the problem?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Johnson 15hp motor with carb trouble???

Did you only check up to the fuel pump or after it also? You need to see if fuel is getting into the carbs and if it is, well then you make sure it not flooding out, ie. a stuck float. Try pumping the primer ball alot, until you cannot squeeze it anymore, then try pumping the throttle as you crank it. If it started when you squirted gas down the carbs then you are obviously getting spark, so let's try working on the fuel and take it from there. Let me know the outcome.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Mike.<br /><br />Well, you have proved that the problem is fuel starvation. Could be the fuel pump, but it is more likely to be a gummed carb.<br /><br />Disconnect the fuel line into the carb. Spin her over. Does the pump squirt fuel into a plastic bottle? Pump is okay.<br /><br />Overhaul your carb, with particular attention to tiny passages and orifices. It is best to do this with a Manual.<br /><br />That should fix you up.<br /><br />Let us know what happens. :)

mike_88

Cadet

we checked out the carb and gas is getting into the bowl, so the fuel pump is working. We also checked the float,a and it seemed to stick, so we freed it up a bit, and put the bowl back on. we tried to pump gas into the carb but gas would still not get into the carb. what else could we check out??

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class

is your main jet clear??<br /><br />what about your idle circut

mercury1

Cadet

First I would get a carb kit for the motor. Remove the welch plug dead center on top of the carb (round aluminum plug about 3/8" diameter). There will be three to 4 little tiny holes that can plug easily, they lead into the throat of your carb. Make sure these are clear. You will get a new plug in the carb kit to replace the old one with. My bet would be that this is the problem. Make sure you completely clean any tiny port or passage way. The tiniest bit of dirt or dried fuel/oil can clog a carb. Normally on a carb rebuilding, I never see the culprit that is obstructing, because it is so small.

mike_88

Cadet

we took the gas line off at the carb and gas was coming out there no promblem. we took the whole carb apart and cleaned it, and still no gas get to the carb. the gas only gets into the bowl no further. what else can we do?

mike_88

Cadet

when we squrit gas in carb and start it we can get it runing for about 20-30 second if we rev it up while runing(paly with throtle) could there be an ajustment problem??

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Mike, did you check those links? A lot of reading and a lot of good information.<br />It is hard to tell from here, but your carb might not be clean yet. <br />Check this one by 12Footer too:<br /> Topic: CARBS 101 <br /><br />Oh yes, these links saves me a lot of typing and translating 3 o'clock in the morning.<br /><br />Now, do it again and... have fun! :D :D

mike_88

Cadet

is it possible to buy a whole newor rebiult carb? if so where? and is the a free online manual i can look at or do i have to buy one.

mike_88

Cadet

is it possible to buy a whole new or rebuilt carb? if so where? and how much would it cost?

mercury1

Cadet

Mike.<br /><br />Before you buy a new carb, <br />send me your present carb and I will overhaul it.<br />If your interested email me.<br />I do these all the time. I still would bet you have an obstruction.

mike_88

Cadet

How much would that cost me mercury1?and where do u live?

DUPARD

Cadet

Just finishing cleaning the carbs on my 1974 rude 70 hp. I did it myself. marine shop wanted $150 - $200. It only cost me 3 cans of berryman's. Wasn't gummed up as expected but when soaked little particles of sand and pebbles came from out of the jets and holes.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

As others have alluded to here, a pretty carb or a clean looking carb, is not necessarily a functioning air/fuel mixture making machine. When people say your carb is dirty what they really mean is that the holes in the carb passages (jets) are not the diameter they used to be because of some foreign matter. Usually but not always it isn't dirt clogging it up, it is dried gas residue everybody calls gum or varnish because it acts just like varnish. It requires dismantling the carb, removing the parts, soaking the non-metallic parts in carb cleaner (not just spraying the outside till it looks good), blowing them out with compressed air, and then installing the new parts that come in a rebuild kit. Most of these carbs are pretty simple, they're not Webers off of a Ferrari and if you have a manual you can do it yourself. As often as these things clogg up you should probably learn to do it yourself unless you have wads of cash in which case you wouldn't be on this forum anyway. Bite the bullet, buy a manual and a big bucket of carb cleaner and just do it.

mike_88

Cadet

Dupard <br /><br />what was wrong with your motor, and how did u clean your carb? Does your motor work now?

skeets

Seaman

mike_88<br />Bear posted 2 web sites for you to view<br />the cost of the carb is there<br />the cost of the kit is there <br />The exploded view of the carb is there <br />take a little time and see what is there.