DE CARB

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class
, i was looking at a bottle of RED X engine treatment the other day in work , we dont have that seafoam stuff over here that u all talk about<br />i was thinkinm of usin this redx on my 82 15 hp johnson<br /><br />does anyone know anything about it , it says to pour a small amount into each plughole for a few ours to dissolve carbon deposits , its for car engines but i think it would be ok for use on a 2 stroke , any opinions?

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: DE CARB

You can get a Merc product called Quickleen<br /><br />"Specially formulated to combat residual combustion deposits and the performance inhibiting effects caused by use of poor quality fuels. 1 oz. treats 6 gallons. "<br /><br />For use with 2 and 4-cycle engines. <br /><br />Part #92-802877A <br /><br />Maybe it's caused by fuel quality but in Denmark I've never added anything to my fuel. 35 years of boating without any problems - not even after winter storage. We do have RedX (several types) but I have no experience with them. Tried their diesel additive but did not find any improvements.<br /><br />Just my 2p.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

I asked my fellow boaters here in Sweden if anyone use to decarb their two cycle ob's.<br /><br />What is decarb!? was the reply. So I guess we don't need it. I have never seen anyone talk or ask questions about it in our swedish forum.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Decarb is a good idea for any older outboard, and it works. Carbon, if it gets bad enough, can break loose inside the combustion chamber and cause damage. Decarb will cut down on excess carbon build up and it is cheaper than a rebuild. I have never heard of the brand you are talking about, but if it says it is for car engines, it will be fine, carbon is carbon.