tilt and trim problem(1976 johnson 85 hp

henry519

Cadet
i ve removed my pump and motor, cleaned everything up , made sure the motor was in good working order. i noticed when id spin the pump with my hand that it seemed to have a drag in a certain spot,with this i noticed that fluid would come up out of the hole as if to refill the reservoir,so i fuigured that was natural. well when i put everything back togetherit got to where it would work fine. now a week into doing other things im back to the same tilt and trim problem.all connections are good. ive even ran jumpers and sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont, even with the jumpers. is this a result of the catch i noticed in the pump? is it a bad motor? <br /><br />also, ive tried to remove the two screws that are on top of the motor unit itself, to hopefully check the wire connections on the motor itself. they will not bug with out the possibilty of stripping or shearing the heads.<br /><br />any help would be deeply appreciated...i need to be on the lake!!!!

rmpenton

Seaman
Re: tilt and trim problem(1976 johnson 85 hp

is this the same system as in another post?dont take the screws out of the top.trust me.it is extremely hard to get it back together.the reason it works sometimes.and them stops is because they have a heat switch in the motor.when it gets to hot it cuts the negative power cable inside the motor.it might work better if it is in water halfway up the motor.this keeps the motor cool while in the water.when it is on the boat and in the water you will see what i mean.mine was doing this also but i took the top cap off the motor and fixed the switch so it wont open when it gets hot,and put a 50amp circuit breaker on the negative cable at the battery.i told you when you bought it that it was not worth the money,but thats not important now.good luck,you will need it