Power Loss

bobbuffalo43

Cadet
Just purchased a 92 Ranger 482V bass boat with a 1992 Evinrude 150 V-6. Since it had not been run for 2 years, I drained the fuel tanks, carbs, gas lines and refilled with fresh fuel. On its maiden voyage it ran great (for a while) with speeds near 60. Then, after a 45-second high-speed run, it didn't have the power to get up to plane, even at full throttle. Sounded like a couple of cylinders were dead. After limping to the dock and returning home, I checked compression (92-102 psi) and spark (seemed OK at all plugs). Bottom 2 cylinders seemed cooler to touch than the upper 4. Also, water pressure during the test run was 3-4 lbs. at idle and about 28 at full throttle. Temp gauge rose pretty high (almost to top) at idle but went down to low-center immediately when throttle was advanced. Any ideas on the sudden drop in power? Is the temperature behavior normal for this engine?

hunt-fish.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Power Loss

Sounds like you may have dislodged some junk in the fuel system since it's been sitting. My '91 Evinrude water system behaves similarly to your description. I've even had the overheat warning go off when idling for extended periods. I think the previous owner had a shade tree mechanic change the impeller in my case. Have you tried running it on the water hose with the cups? Make sure you use the duel input cups for high horsepower engines. I also found a leak in the water pressure guage line to the dash. You can find those water leaks easier in the driveway then on the lake. Hope this helps.<br /><br />John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Power Loss

I agree with hunt-fish.com, Bob.<br /><br />You have a carb gummed up.<br /><br />Verification troubleshooting advice on www.outboardrepairs.com will have you running good real quick.<br /><br />Good luck. :)