Porpising boat

William Huff

Recruit
I have a 16ft bass boat that porpises every time I start to trim out the motor(by this I mean, the bow of the boat will start to rise then drop). The more I trim the worse it gets. This just started before winter. I have repacked the tilt actuator and have replaced the trim actuator. The two questions that I have are. 1. Am I right on the tilt/trim theory or is it something else causing my problem. #2. Two manual's that I am using for the replacement of the tilt/trim, are conflicting in the way to service the system back up with fluid.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Porpising boat

If you trim out too far, the boat will porpoise. You say it just started this...Are trimming out more than you used to or about the same? Did you add anything to boat that would cause weight distribution to change? Is it possible the hull is holding water somewhere that cause weight distribution to change (e.g. wet foam, etc.)? As long as your tilt/trim is opertating & moving motor/outdrive in/out, changing out componenet won't effect the porpoising.<br /><br />BL...

William Huff

Recruit
Re: Porpising boat

Before the boat started to porpoise, I had not changed a thing. As to the water. It happens as soon as I put her in the water. I use to be able to get her to plane out.