Running an outboard in a barrel.

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just checking to make sure about something. I have an Evinrude with the exhaust behind the prop. While running it in a 55 gal barrel I noticed when I took it out of the barrel a white oil and water gunk inside the exhaust, behind the prop and inside the case. I want to make sure this is normal. I understand that if I had it in the river and moving this might not happen. But being in the barrel it's possible it's airiating and causing this. Please give me a few words of wisdom.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Running an outboard in a barrel.

You didn't have any water in the gear case so don' sweat it.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

The white gunk is emulsified oil(oil with water in it)probably unburnt 2 stroke oil.Check the oil in the gear box if it hasnt got any water in it dont worry about it.On ahot day run your engine in the barrel stand behind it & get some one to put the engine in forward gear & rev it Ill bet you arent hot for long... :D :D

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

:eek: -but once the water leaves the barrel your impeller will be hot instead :(

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should there be a gasket between the gear case and mid section. If not, would it hurt installing one with gasket maker (SILICONE)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I covered this in one of your other two postings on the same subject. There is no gasket there. . If you want to heliarc the midsection to the gear housing, go ahead, but there is no gasket!<br /><br />Hooty

RKwood

Seaman Apprentice

Although my motors, '84 1.6l OMC Sea Drives, are considered slightly atypical from other OMC products, the factory manual indicates you should apply a thin bead of Adhesive "M" to the edge of the gear case where it contacts the mid section.<br /><br />RKwood