Prop question

bobber head

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings.<br /><br />Have a 17', '93 Nitro.<br />Evinrude 115 w/ turbo 13 1/4 X 17A prop.<br />Hole shot = one calander day.<br /><br />Opps, also have a power lift inbetween.<br /><br />Was advised to find the WOT rpm max and check it against what the motor should run at, then:<br /><br />Either- fix the motor, raise the lift, hammer the prop down to a 15 pitch, or switch to a 4 blade.<br /><br />Or get a bigger motor. (ouch)<br /><br />Makes since to me...anything I should know before Saturday's test run? Thanks, Bobber

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Prop question

You got good advice, Bobber.<br /><br />The keys to selecting the ideal prop are numbers: WOT rpm vs. your engine's "operating range" rpm.<br /><br />Engine height and trim are for "fine tuning".<br /><br />Good luck. :)

bobber head

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Prop question

Well, good news: bad news...<br /><br />Good news - she started, idled, and ran very well all day long. Manual RPM rated @ 5,800...after planing out she hopped up to 6,200 lickedy split. <br /><br />Bad news - Water PSI read 10 lbs. Same as it's always read I just never noticed what the needle was pointing at before.<br /><br />So, instead of "tinkering" with the power lift, I just shut it down for the day to deal with the PSI first.<br /><br />However, yesterdays run tells me the motor is fine, and possibly is already raised too high. OR I have a water pump problem.<br /><br />Figures. I try to track down one problem and discover two new ones. Bobber<br /><br />NOTE: finally had a complete day of TNT working properly. Had found the ground wire and snugged it up and replaced both relays. Nice feeling there.