Aluminum Jet Boats - why not?

MJC

Cadet
Questions from a yet to be boat owner......<br />Other than price what are the disadvantages of aluminum over fiberglass? <br />Brands which seem to fit the bill are Alumaweld, North River, ThunderJet, Duckworth, Motion Marine, Custom Weld, Boulton, JetCraft. <br />Looking in the 19-21' range for family use which includes skiing, tubing, fishing, year round crabbing. Just looking around I bet I will drop $25 k on a used one. <br />Comments? <br />thanks

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: Aluminum Jet Boats - why not?

MJC,<br />Aluminum is lighter, stronger, lasts DECADES longer, has higher resale,and it bends instead of breaks.<br />Additionally, especially with all the boats you've listed, quality is far superior, resale is way higher and are more sought after and desireable. All the boats you've listed are works of art and basically the cats meow. All the boats listed are built special ordered, limited production and are handmade/built.<br />Even though they're equal with your list you forgot a few, Design Concepts, Pacific Angler and FishRite.<br />As you've already noticed and boaters back East have yet to discover, these aluminum boats ain't Lunds or Lowe's.<br />I've got an entry level NorthRiver "Welded Adrenaline" but I like all the ones you and I listed. <br />My wife and I are really enjoying the use and compliments that these boats seem to get.<br />Yeah, you can drop 25 large quickly, but quality never goes out of style.

sfels

Seaman Apprentice

I've lusted after an aluminum boat for quite some time and have looked at quite a few. Both WeldCraft and Duckworth are made in the same plant in Clarkston, WA. One thing to take a LONG hard look at is what you're going to do with the boat and where. Most aluminum jet boats have a realtively shallow angle and are best suited for river running. If you're going to be using the boat on a big lake or in the ocaen, look for a deep v hull. Duckworth makes an offshore model that fits the bill and Weldcraft is supposed to be coming out with an 18 degree model this year. Jets can be a little tricky to master as you must be under power to navigate the boat. That having been said, they're wonderful machines and, if you put people in the water (skiing, tubing, swimming, etc.) ther're safer - no spinning prop. Look for a multi-stage pump, like a Hamilton 212 or better. They perform better all around than single stage, high pressure pumps.

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Every boat you have listed are top of the line units. 25K may not be enough for a newer model of a couple of them. I have a 20'Alumaweld that is one of the most stable platforms I have ever fished from. Great quality. It is primarily a river runner (outboard Jet). A dual purpose boatshould compromise in the hull design and any of those can be found to fit. Fiberglass boats around here are strictly saltwater or lakes and the fiberglass to Aluminum ratio is moving toward aluminum especially in professional guides there as well....

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the late 70s to mid 80s I was the Duckworth dealer in Anchorage Alaska. This was when Ernie Duckworth still owned the company. Awsome boats and with the new ownership I think they have even improved. Ernie built me a custom 19' with a 351 and a 3 stage Hamilton, have kicked myself for years for selling it.

MJC

Cadet

Thanks for the comments - guess there are no advantages to fiberglass? <br /><br />For those "up" on the evolution of welded aluminum multi-purpose boats: <br /><br />Appears to me that the sex appeal of these types of boats has improved the most in the last few years. Builders have found out that looks and finish are important if you are trying to sell to the family. <br /><br />Has the hull / powerplant technology improved as well? Just wondering how old of a boat I should be looking for........were there great strides which should keep me looking at 5 yr and less old designs? <br /><br />I am aware of the flat bottom vs. v-hull performance issues and will likely look for a 12-14º vee. Don't plan on any shallow river running in this one - maybe a little later when the kids are older. More concern is for family comfort - smoother and quieter if that is possible with a jet. <br /><br />Thanks for your assistance in my research - there is a wealth of knowledge in the forum members!

Skinnywater

Commander

MJC,<br />Advantages of fiberglass are: they are more quiet when fishing, not as cold in the morning, not as hot in the sun, it is more economical to manufacture and therefore purchase.<br />If I were not planning to run shallow/river/skinny water, I think I'd want a more efficient prop powered unit rather then a jetpump. With an outboard there would be more room in the boat and the cost of your boat would go down substantially. You may be able to buy new.<br />Out of all the listed boats Alumaweld is the most mass produced and it is more common. It is aggressively pushed as a package. At the first of the year there was a substantial price increase. Just prior to that time you could be in a decent 19' Stryker for 25-27K new. I haven't visited their website lately but 6 months ago you could get package prices advertised online.<br />I beleive you could get into a NorthRiver Scout for around the same money. <br />Since all the boats are equal more or less, your most important consideration is your local dealer support. New or used you need a reliable,convienient source for your boats future needs.<br />I chose the NorthRiver because they had the exact package I was looking for at the exact money I wanted to spend. <br />Plus the fact NorthRiver is a LOT better looking then the others.......... ;)

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

my brother in law has a North River WHAT A BOAT makes my tounge hang out just thinking about it

sfels

Seaman Apprentice

I just noticed that you're in the Portland area. Before I blew the motor on my Trophy I spent a LOT of time looking at aluminum boats, both new and used. There's a dealer/broker in your area that has a lot of good used aluminum boats in the 19-22 ft range. The name is Brinsfield's Boat Basin and they have a web site too. If you're leaning towards a new one, I have learned that Alumaweld will be offering an 18 degree hull and Duckworth (they both come from the same plant now) already has one that they produce.

MJC

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. <br /><br />Steve F : <br />I did see the Brinsfield website and will get by to take a look. <br />You said "Alumaweld will be offering an 18 degree hull and Duckworth (they both come from the same plant now)" - did you mean Weldcraft and Duckworth? <br />I usually let someone else take the initial hit on anything with pistons or wheels. Sure, I would love to buy new - if it was a business expense I could swing it! : ) <br /> <br />Skinny & Norman : <br />I agree - the NorthRivers are sweeeet looking! <br /><br />Looking at used boats is time consuming and getting to actually demo them for comparison sake is tough. <br />Still trying to learn the differences ( improvements) between the models from about 92-present and judge what is worth paying for. <br />$40k would pretty much get it all - what I can do without is the question. <br /><br />thanks again all for the comments.

sfels

Seaman Apprentice

Oops, fingers and brain operating at different speeds again...yes, I did mean Weldcraft and Duckworth. One key if you're buying used, aside from the obvious things like make sure it floats, is move quickly. The City of Boise listed a 20ft Duckworth Pacific, 2 seasons of use, with a kicker, for only $17K. I thought about it for one night too long and it was sold.

Donna Seale

Recruit

Checked some back posts and saw back in Aug. that MJC 1stmate was looking for a late model Aluminum Jetboat. We have a friend in Portland OR. who has a 2000 Duckworth Silverwing jetboat with only 50 hours of use and is in perfect cond. Think he wants around $25,000 and he lives in the Portland OR. Suburbs. We are trying to help him sell it so he can get out of making payments on it. Is this iboats a good place to advertise? We,ve noticed that there at are some free sites. Has anyone tried the free ones and gotten good success. Duckworth is a good boat and holds its value so finding the right person is the key. Best way to go about finding that person is the question I have. Thanks for any help or ideas anyone might have. I am new to posting and am still learning how to and where to.

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi.. I own an alumaweld stryker.. 19ft model
boat.jpg
<br /><br />I love it personally. If you really want to Ski behind the boat you will not want a jet. not enough boat in the water and the skier will just flip the butt end around.... If you are willing to drive I will take you out fishing for day on my alumaweld. I got the "low end" model, but it is still a very nice boat. Ia lso have the 90hp suzuki 4 stroke.... Drop me an email if your interested.. daweston@earthlink.net<br />dave

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Don't have an aluminum boat to sell :( but I agree that, lacking the need for shallow water running, you don't need a jet. If you're running in the Willamette, Columbia or lakes, a prop drive will be less expensive to buy and to run, and you won't lose 30% HP to the jet drive.<br />But now that you're not in shallow water, you might want to consider fiberglass. Because they take lots less labor to build, you can buy the same boat in 'glass for about 1/3 less than in aluminum (or buy 1/3 more boat), and it will be quieter, and not quiet so noisy (although if it's OB, it's noisy in either case). But, there's the upkeep. Scratch a 'glass boat and you've got maybe major wear and tear. Do the same to an aluminum boat and all you did was add character! :cool: <br />Wish I could afford the boat I want in aluminum. But they really are 30-50% more costly.