Wankel/Rotary outboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonRutledge

Cadet
Has anyone heard of a wankel/rotary outboard engine? I read that Johnson and Evinrude made them in the 70's.

D

DJ

Re: Wankel/Rotary outboards?

donr,<br /><br />That is true, they did.<br /><br />They were unbeatable in the racing world. However, they suffered from combustion chamber seal problems just like all the rotaries of that era.<br /><br />Mazda has since fixed that issue.

DonRutledge

Cadet

I own an RX7 and have owned and worked on several rotarys in the past. I wonder if there are any of those wankel outboards left alive? I'd love to have one.

D

DJ

donr,<br /><br />I don't think any of them made it into production for the general public.<br /><br />However, OMC did offer at least one Wankel powered snowmobile to the public. They were quite nice.

SystemF

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OMC (Outboard Marine Corporation) bought a sub-license for the Wankel engine from Curtiss-Wright, announced on March 2, 1966. <br /><br />OMC 4 rotor outboards raced about six times summer and fall of 1973, winning every race in U class (unlimited). For example, at the Galveston Speed Classic, they placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, lapping the entire field three times (a fourth rolled and smashed). Displacement was 122 cubic inches. Power was estimated at 330 hp. <br /><br />OMC race tested some RCE engines with an eye to production. In testing they were installed on 18 foot tunnel boats constructed by Glastron. Rev limit was as high as 14,000 rpm. Power was over 200 hp. Rumour has it that they could easily run at over 120 mph, and once made a straight-away pass at 165 mph. <br /><br />"In 1974 [I think] during Les 6 heures de Paris, there were two Scotti cats powerd by OMC Wankel's and driven by McConnell & Woods." Berry <br /><br />posted from "http://www.monito.com/wankel/marine.html#OMC"

gspike

Recruit

I have one. I used to be an Autorized Wankel Dealer.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wasnt there another brand besides the Wankel,I remember both just not the brand name??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

gspike, what Wankel do you have?? OB or snowmobile?? Evinrude used them in their snowmobiles and so did Artic Cat.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Gotta love the old threads. Cracks me up every time :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.