Overheating Again

NRG

Cadet
I tried posting 1 already but it looks as tough my post got tied up with another persons. <br /><br />Here is the issue. I have a 1993 Johnson 200, it seems to be overheating. I pulled the thermostat and took out the internals. The motor ran fine. For about a week. Then it started showing the same signs of overheating again yesterday. There is a strong pee from the telltale. <br /><br />The signs of overheating that I am seeing is, the engine will operate normally until the motor gets warmed up. Then it will not operate above 3000 r.p.m. <br /><br />I've flushed the motor, pulled the thermostat, and blew through the hoses that lead to the head.<br /><br />Any ideas guys/gals would be great.<br /><br />Thanks in Advance

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Overheating Again

Maybee a defective rev limitter (if so equipped). Forgive my ignorance on Johnyrudes.<br />Why do you think it is overheating, other than the loss of RPM?<br />It could be a bad stator or coil winding. When coils (or coiled wire) with a break in the wire heats up, the entire coil expands. When it expands, the two ends of the break seperate enopugh to loose contact, and you're suddenly down one cylinder. You can dianose this only one way..With a spark checker, when the symptoms surface. You may have to check all of them to find it. change out the plugs too, as a plug may be fouling out. Note the condition of the old plug from each cylinder, as they can give you some idea as to what that cylinder is doing.<br />I'm not a Johnnyrude guy, but I hope it helps.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Overheating Again

The first thing to decide is the engine really hot or not and there are several ways to do this. The engine needs to operate at about 140*F, so you can feel with your fingers and guess, try to find a couple of Thermomelt Stix or spend about 80 bucks at NAPA and get a non-contact infrared thermometer. I prefer the latter. <br />It sounds like the engine is going into the S.L.O.W (speed limiting overheat warning) mode. This happens when the engine reaches about 200*F. If you're sure the engine is not hot, disconnect the temp sensor and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the temp sensing unit is defective. If it doesn't, the problem is probably in the powerpack.<br />If the engine is really hot, post back and tell us.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty