My other Johnson ...Circa 1959 ... interchange parts with Evinrude?

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
I tried to budge that 125 horse behemoth, but when I put it on its cart I was a 25 year old stud bench pressing 500 pounds<br /><br />Now I am a 41 year old dud, and press a bench with .. well, never mind, but sheesh ... I cant even MOVE the damned thing - it occurred to me that there might be an alternative while these trips to the gym kick in and put some bulk strength back into yours truly<br /><br />Hanging on the back of the CrestLiner is a 35 horse Johnson, Ill have to make an exodus to delaware to take some pictures and get more info, but basically, the water pump went, and when I got a new water pump, the hole was square instead of round and the (giant parts dealer) didnt have the right one, the right one wasnt available according to him and the other stores I called, so I wonder if the powerhead would fit onto a lower unit that there WAS a water pump for<br /><br />of course, now that I look at the threads on here, there has to be the right part for that thing somewhere ... but if not, there seems to be plenty of parts for evinrude<br /><br />the other problem is, I dont know if I even have all the parts anymore, and if they are still ok ... Im going to see if the powerhead is free<br /><br />the only thing wrong with the power head was a slight miss, from the wires being cracked, is replacing spark plug wires a major pain?<br /><br />and one more thing, when I used to run the motor, I was always worried about cranking it up, old motor, stress fatigue whatever, does it hurt to run thses old timers at WOT? I know cars dont do well when they get old and you push em, push em too hard and youll really PUSH em, off to the shoulder ... <br /><br />as much as I want to hear that 125 open up, ill settle for the 35 this season, lol, of course I wouldnt mind chugging along with the ten horse, I dont care as long as the boat moves to where the fish are then brings them home!<br /><br />of course, the one woman henpecking parade would be bored to tears ten horsing along, but the 35 would move Hydrophobia along nicely, it did ok with the crestliner, and that is a fiberglass hull thats probably four times heavier than the StarCraft<br /><br />any thoughts on the old timer?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: My other Johnson ...Circa 1959 ... interchange parts with Evinrude?

Hello.<br />On the transom bracket there is a model number.<br />It will say something like RDE19 or RDEL 20<br />Get that number on this board and we will get you your engine year.<br />On the bottom of this page there is a link that will help you find a manual for your machine.On e-bay you can probably find an owners parts catalogue that will show you every piece and part of that engine exactly where it belongs through blown up pictures.<br />To find parts you can try napa stores, your omc dealer or if they are to young to know,you can go to: www.twincityoutboards.com<br />good luck.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Ray Im easily confused so by the time I finished<br />your post I was lost. Get us the model numbers<br />for your motors and we can get you the years.<br /> Most parts are readily available.<br /> NAPA auto parts has a lot of parts,and many<br />other places on the net as well.<br />If the motors are sound I wouldnt hesitate to<br />run them wide open. I would check the rpm to be sure they are within the safe range.And I<br />wouldnt run it wide open hour after hour.<br /> I dont run any of my motors wide open as a rule<br />I do of course when we ski and on occasion when its called for but not as a rule.<br /> In 54 years of boating I have had only one <br />powerhead fail,and "it" was questionable when I bought it.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

excellent point ... its always something little that strands ya, lol, never a piston peeking out at gulls ...<br /><br />I know I tend to wander a bit, im juggling three boats and four engines in my mind, as well as dealing with assorted family projects with specific deadlines, lol, ah the joys of life<br /><br />of all the motors, the one I know was running is the 35, the 125 came with Hydrophobia (starcraft) and the 10 was a trash night find<br /><br />of course, the 35 hasnt run in ten years, no, 12 years ... Ill ahve to see if it still spins!<br /><br />Ill post #'s as I get them, maybe by the 4th Ill join the parade, lol<br /><br />Stranger things have happened!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

also, the motors and boats are spread out over the tri state area, one at moms, the other at dads, and Hydro over at a friend of the family that has tons of land - good to know people! LOL