79' 4 hp johnson seahorse

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class
numbers on this motor are: 4w79d<br />It has a very small gas tank built in the top of the motor, It doesnt run very long, expecially if you run it wot. Im worn out putting gas in this thing all the time out on the water. I would like to have a suggestion or two on how I can hookup a 5 gallon external tank to this thing? do I need a fuel pump? do they make one for this kind of motor? should I just live with the hassle?<br /><br />thanks,<br />suzuki40

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79' 4 hp johnson seahorse

Hi Suzuki...<br /><br />Fraid I'm just a little confused. Ya' see, the 79' 4hp had a external fuel tank already. No built in. Are ya sure it's a 79' 4hp. The 2hp of the same year had the built in tank. :confused: :confused: :confused:

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im looking at it right now. The side of the motor cover say's 4 hp Johnson seahorse, there is a screwoff gas cap on the top and under the cover is a yellow gas tank molded in there a perfect fit. I doesnt hold much gas,I would geuss couple of quarts. numbers on motor:4w79d

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It's actually fairly easy to hook up a fuel pump to your motor. If you pull the lower cowling off, you'll see at least one, maybe two, cast-in bosses on the starboard side of the powerhead. The boss will consist of three raised holes, likely either plugged or not machined all the way through. You will need to drill the center hole all the way (carefully!) into the crankcase. Also, you'll need to pick up one of the small cube-style OMC fuel pumps ($30-$50), two mounting screws, a single line fuel connector, and some hose from your local OMC dealer. You can have the hose simply come out from under the cowling with the fuel connector on the end, or you can get fancy and mount it somewhere. How seemless you want it to look when you're done is up to you...<br />- Scott

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks chinewalker...I was hoping there was a way of installing a fuelpump.<br /><br />suzuki40

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Probably so, that is the standard pump for the small engines.