1966 Johnson shifter linkage

Dbailey

Seaman
I pulled the lower unit on my Johnson 9.5 and now it will not shift correctly. It will shift into neutral(middle) and forward(down), but not into reverse(up). I am sure that the problem is in the connection of the shift rod into the coupler at the lower unit, but I have removed and reinstalled it three times with no success. I have read about people measuring the shift rod to install... can someone explain this process to me?? Does this sound like the problem?? I need some major help on this one :( . Thanks for any advice.<br />Dustin

rterrian

Seaman
Re: 1966 Johnson shifter linkage

Take the side plate off and losen the bolts on the shift linkage. Then using neddle nose plyers put the lower rod in the reverse posision and move the shifter to reverse then tighten linkage bolts. Now try it in all gears and see if they all work right. If you still have no reverse you may have to part the gear case an see what is wrong in there.

Dbailey

Seaman

Boater,<br />By the side panel, you mean the panel on the outside of the motor?? Sorry for the ignorance, but am completely new to this. Thanks for the help.<br />Dustin

Dbailey

Seaman

Ok... here's the situation...<br />I dropped the lower unit for the fourth time. Looked at the shifter linkage and it looked fine. Bolted lower unit back on and it worked perfectly. Replaced the choke linkage(nothing to do with shifter) and it quit working again. Then, just by chance, I turned the prop shaft a little and it popped right into gear. Both forward and reverse. Is this normal... I have never paid attention before. Thanks for any info.<br />Dustin

rterrian

Seaman

Yes that sounds normal. Just need the gears to line up.

Dbailey

Seaman

Great... :cool: Thanks alot man. This was my first repair and I was kicking myself for not being able to figure it out. Tnanks again.<br />Dustin