parts compatible?prop shaft Evinrude

Cadet
I have a '81 Evinrude 50 that I tossed forward gear on,I found a used lower unit complete for a $100(!!!!!)had some water in it ,bearings seized all other parts okay,Took it apart all parts are identical down to part # except for the forward gear-my broken one has a thrust bearing and the salvage part has a caged roller bearing.<br />Can I put the salvaged prop shaft in my old lower unit?<br />Thanx 5150

NathanY

Commander
Re: parts compatible?prop shaft Evinrude

The 73 model was Hydro Electric shift, and I dont believe that the two are interchangeable. There might be others that can tell you for sure.

Cadet

Okay,so it definately isn't a 73,as I said all the parts except the shift housing are the same,even the parts in the shift housing are the same,one has a roller bearing and the other has a thrust washer.<br />Neither one is electric shift,my fault.

Cadet

here's the low down on this,I got with a guy at work,20 year retired OMC mechanic,he said it was a running change and they are absolutely interchangable,this is the thrust washer /roller bearing prop shaft NOT a 73 prop shaft,those should be thrown away immediatly.<br />Just so you know Tony